Have you ever been a missionary or would you ever do missionary work or Peace Corps?

I feel like I am being called to missionary work. I just don't know what or where. :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Pray to God, he will give you a sign :) It gladdens me to hear of your calling, God bless you!
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 6:05 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• What about Americorp? www.americorp.gov

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I have done short trips, but will not do long ones....my mom has been a missionary in kenya for 7 yrs......talk to your pastor
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I think it would be cool to do, but unfortunately, I'm not allowed to volunteer with the Peace Corps. If you've ever served in the military, you can't do Peace Corps, and I know at one point (though I'm not sure if it's still true), you can't enlist in the military if you did the Peace Corp. Not that the military has a problem with it either way, but out of respect for the Peace Corp - because so many places they go have governments that are not very friendly with the US govt, so they don't want any of their volunteers to have any association with any of our military, so as to not arouse suspicions with the local governments about their group being used as a "cover".

So, while I think it would be cool, I can't do it. But I think missionary work or other humanitarian work (probably in inner cities, I've worked with troubled youth before), would be something I would like to do.

Good luck - it's a noble thing you want to do!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I would do Peace Corps if I didn't have a kid and was married. I seriously considered it after I graduated high school, but of course everyone was like "Nahhhhh don't do it" so of course, I listened to them. (Ugh.)

I don't like the idea of missionary work, but helping others is always a good thing. Do what you gotta do.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i went on a few trips with a group from church..the trips would be for one or two weeks. it was always building houses/structures/etc/plumbing or ground prepwork for the next group to come in and continue. nothing like getting your hands dirty and sweating for the good of someone else! it makes you a lot more appreciative of what you have, even if you don't have much...compared to the places we always went (deep into mexico, or the 'real' belize, not the touristy area for sure!). i'd do it again in a heartbeat if i didn't have to find 2 wks of 24hr childcare.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Missionary work doesn't apply to my beliefs but I'd definitely do Peace Corps if I had the opportunity and was accepted to the program. They don't take just anyone who wants to join. My sister was an English teacher in Botswana for 2.5 yrs and it had a profound effect on her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• There religiously affiliated aid stations that don't require you to be a member of their church or faith. I'm not Presbyterian, but I stayed with a group of them in Nicaragua to do work on a hospital and birthing center. It's called Jubilee House. It's in Managua.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:06 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I have done a little missionary work, before I had children. My husband has been all over though. If I wasn't married with children I would love to join the peace corps or be in full time missions. I have friends who do that and they are all over right now, from India to Uganda, to Ecuador, to Papua New Guinea : )

Pray and ask the Lord what He would have for your life!!! I will keep you in prayer too : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Good for you! Pray for God to lead you into the area that He would have you serve. As for myself, I would like to take a summer trip with my church to the Navajo Nation, a third world country within the borders of the US (yet its own country), who really could use some assistance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2010