I don't think he's sleeping enough

My son is 19 months old. And for the past month or two he hasnt been going to bed until like 5-6 in the morning. and he'll wake up within 5 hours at the most. And he hardly ever will take naps, if he does it's only for maybe an hour. This is really killing me. A woman my fiance works with said her kids went through it and they prescribe this medicine to help them sleep, but my mom and grandmother said it's not normal. I really don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow. I don't know about sleep medicines for kids but there's no way I would give anything like that to my kids (I have 18 month old twins). Are you putting him to bed at all at night? What happens when you do? Is he still in a crib or a toddler bed? Do you let him CIO? What does he do at night when he isn't sleeping?

Boy I hope my kids don't go through this...they will spend a lot of time crying in their beds because my DH and I both work and there's no way I can do my job with no sleep!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 6:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My son went through that around that age. I think it's just a testing of the waters. They are turning into toddlers but still got the baby talk going on so nobody knows what they want. Best bet is to be VERY consistent with a routine that works for you guys...that was the only thing that helped us, sometimes he would wanna stay up and play and we let him he would play on the floor with his toys and briefly watch a movie and when he got tired he would crawl back into bed with us..(he coslept at the time)....soon thereafter when the whole staying up all night didnt work for us I spent a hefty amount and bought him a twin bed and new furniture for his room "his big boy room" since then he's slept in there every night no fuss. :) GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i'm so glad i found this because we have been going through sleeping trouble with our 2 yr old. she goes down around midnight and is up before 7. and she doesn't nap at all. her nighttime routine hasn't changed and she's only been doing it for a few months but it's frustrating. she's gone through 3 major moves in the last yr due to the army and deployments so that might have something to do with it but i'm not sure. good luck with getting rest.
    caitlink

Answer by caitlink at 9:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2010