Can I get a tubal ligation before I leave the hospital after having my baby?

I'm going to ask my doctor when i go on feb 3, but i was just wondering if anyone knew..

MJ_BN_FE

Asked by MJ_BN_FE at 6:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Health

•    Absolutly!! I had it done right after I gave birth to my daughter.

jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I think this depends on your insurance. Generally, OB's like to wait till your six week checkup. Ask your doctor and check with your insurance. Most cover sterilization at 100%.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:06 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My doctor said that I needed to complete a form requesting the procedure before I went into labor, he wasn't allowed to do them if the consent form was signed when I was under duress. Most of the ladies I know had their tubes tied while they were in the hospital, it's a quick procedure.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:27 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• It's best to ask your doctor as it depends on his policy. I had mine during a cesarean, so maybe I'm not much help.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I had mine right after giving birth to our 3rd child. I did not have a c-section but they did leave the epi in place and 7am they wheeled me to the OR. I signed the releases forms a month before delivery. Talk to your OB, some will only do it if you are a certain age or have a certain number of children. Also the consent, some will only do it if you signed it well in advance.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My OB/GYN would NOT do a tubal at the same time I was in having my 2nd child. I asked a couple of them! I was told because it is a major surgery (general anesthesia), they would not put me under right after giving birth or a a day or two later. They also wanted me to "be sure" this is what I wanted--I was 35 at the time! So I scheduled it for 10 weeks later.

I was told they would have considered it IF I was having a c-section, and there were no other complications, but they would have preferred I waited to think things over. They also kept insisting I encourage my husband to get a vasectomy instead--which I knew without a doubt, was NOT going to happen!!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I did after I had my son. My doctor asked me several times if I was sure because I didn't have time to sign the papers seeing my son came at 36 weeks.
    razorbackfan

Answer by razorbackfan at 8:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Wow,lori.. things are very different depending on where you live huh? I had my tubal with just an epidural. It was a small incision under my belly button and that was it. They did not use any gas on me or anything. That was 8 years ago.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My doc could not do one at delivery because I was delivering in a catholic hospital and it is the policy of the hospital that they do not allow tubal s done there. I was to come back at the 6 week appointment for scheduling of it at another hospital. By then I chickened out.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I think it all depends on the doctor and birthing facility policy and the birth circumstances . Definately ask your doctor on your next appointment and see if that would be an option for you or not. I had my 3rd child by scheduled c-section and they did my tubal at the same time.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2010