For those who DO wish to help Haiti

If you want to help Haiti, text "HAITI" to 90999 to donate $10 to RedCross relief efforts in Haiti!

RutterMama

Asked by RutterMama at 8:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The texting thing is ok. They have already gotten millions from those texts. Americans will continue to be the wonderful people they always have been (contrary to Obama). Another way is to give to the groups that are going over there. Maybe you have a local group or church that is going to help. Dr.s without borders is there and you can know they do not squander thier money. I'm more worried about it ending up in the corrupt governments hands than some scammer looking for a quick buck.
    So if it is easy for you to text, go ahead,J ust don't start texting to every text offered up. Stick to Haiti.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Rutter, I don't text (I know, I'm sooo 2000! LOL), but are you SURE the money will go to the American Red Cross? I ask because whenever there are national/international tragedies, the scam artists come out in droves claiming they are from nationally recognized organizations, when in fact, they pocket the money for themselves--or are somehow able to "hack" in to your bank account.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• LoriKeet, that number has been verified. It is on The White House website, so I think it is safe.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 8:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• OKay! Like I said, you can never be too cautious these days! :o)

P.S. I already donated through my church and the American Red Cross (I've been an instructor and volunteer for over 25 years).
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yes, I work for kgb_ - the text answering service and it is in our database. Nothing goes into our database without being first verified. Dr. Phil is also promoting the same number.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:18 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• And I'm not very tech-savvy either... but I do trust this coming from the Dr. Phil foundation AND from kgb.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• We have a personal Red Cross account, and my husband's Co has also set up a fund-

I do text-It's the only way to get ahold of teens and college students!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:05 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I agree - Don't start texting to anyone that sends you a message - But to this one is great and it is going directly to the Red Cross in Haiti.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2010