Am I the last woman on earth not taking anti-depressants?

This isn't a slam on anyone who is - I know a lot of people who are helped by them. It seems though, any time a group of women get together, if the subject comes up, it comes out that every single one of them is on Zoloft or Celexa and has a back-up stash of Xanex for the really bad days. Instead of talking about shoes, they compare side effects. Is there anyone else who isn't terminally medicated? (using homeopathic or herbal remedies counts, too, because there's always a few of those on the group)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm not on any...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• yep! good for you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I've never taken them, but I guess I'm lucky because I've never even had the baby blues.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i'm not on any but i did take some when i was a teenager...the doctor insisted that my seizure meds were giving me mood swings so...
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I took anti-depressants when I was 16 because my parents forced me to when I had an eating disorder. I do not and will not take them anymore. I don't think they were helpful to me. They simply dulled out my emotions which wasn't a good thing. I needed to work out my issues, not play with the chemicals in my brain.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I am not on anything either...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I'm not on anything but I need to be. I've tried a few things but they made me more depressed and suicidal so I always quit taking them. I just deal with my mental problems on my own and therefore I'm miserable. Oh well. I've gotten the hang of it after 20 years of severe depression.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i am not on anything either. i am not even a fan of vitamins and minerals, i am a whole foods fan! i just wish there was more sunshine now to perk up my moods!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I'm not. I'm more of a fan of correcting the root cause than just treating the symptoms of an unhappy life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I don't have a problem with people taking meds - for any reason - whether it's for depression or anything else.

I also think that there have been many times that meds are used to mask whatever the problem was, or because they don't want to address an issue.

That doesn't mean that ALL or even MOST of the people on meds are doing this though.

And btw, no, I'm not on antidepressants, nor have I been. Unless you count the occasional bout of spending the evening on the couch, bummed and in my pj's (usually when my dh has been deployed) with a bowl of ice cream, some oreo cookies, and Dr Pepper as medicating ;-) But even that isn't been done too often.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2010