if your child uses a nebulizer how do you clean the tube?

you know the long skinny air tube? How on earth do you clean it...i always rinse it with hot water but it looks all gunky at the ends? How do you clean yours?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I work as a caregiver for a patient with lung problems. I believe you are supposed to change the tubing out. There is only so much cleaning out you can do before it needs to be changed. I understand that this can become expensive, but I believe its necessary.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Are you talking about the tubing that looks almost like oxygen tubing? The long think tubing you can wash with warm soapy water but the other smaller tubing should be replaced. Call the company you got the machine from, depending on your insurance company, they will pay for x amount each month. BCBS, pays for 2 a month in my state while medicaid pays for 15 a month.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I've always been told to change the tube. Never to wash it b/c the water can get stuck in there and then be all gross and moldy and just not good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• thanks so much! Yes it looks gross and its so small you cant get anything in there to clean it. I wasnt aware that my insurance may pay for another one.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yep, you should get at least 2 new tubing sets a month as long as your child uses the neb.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:04 AM on Jan. 15, 2010