my friend gave me a 20 dollar gift certificate for visa, what should I do with it/

should I just save it for a rainy day? or add some money to it and use it as an emergency fund just for me??

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• You sound like me. I take my birthday money and pay the bills with it or buy somethng my kids need. The truth is, it's a gift and you recieved it because someone wanted you to splurge on yourself. You need to buy something that you want to have, but wouldn't normally budget for. It's not selfish because it's a gift for you!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Save it for a rainy day and add some money to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i'm with low, I usually pay bills or spend it on the kids. You should go out to lunch or something! Enjoy it.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• It's like having a spare $20 that we have in glove compartment in our cars for just in case.  We don't touch unless we really need to. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i dunno...i think its my bday when i find a spare 20 lol...go buy you and your kids some ice cream!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Is it a Visa gift CARD? If it is they will start charging it $2.50 per month starting 6 months after it was purchased. So I don't recommend holding on to it for too long. Use it however you want, but if it's a card, use it soon.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I would prob go to lunch! Its a gift card...or maybe put gas in my car..whatever...i know i got a walamrt gift card when we were between paychecks and i used it for groceries because we REALLY needed it..if your not struggling right now, enjoy it, see if you can find you a cheap shirt on a clearance rack and get some icecream! enjoy it, why not!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I save everything! I even got one dollar here from a Friend during our secret friend gift exchange we did here! I saved it!
    My DD & her son. asked for it! Like oh a Dollar can I have it? I said no, my friend gave it to me from my secret friend exchange! Since we're jobless. I wondered what to do with it! Slurge on a lotto tix.? I sent it off to a Friend's DD to put towards her BD gift. Save it for a short time! If you go somewhere & find some Screaming Deals! You've got $20.00 to Spend! At our local Target they had 75% off Clothes! I got the 3 Grand Babies something so nice! For SO cheap! So spend it wisely and if you need some chocolate, coffee/tea or a Treat use it & be Happy! Best of Luck being thrifty & Happy!! Nice Friend too! Hugs to her!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2010