what do you do for winter depression? anything?

do u take meds? or change activity or behavior? I'm really wanting to fight if off this year!

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 8:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Opening the blinds and letting the sun light in helps, going out as much as possible also helps you feel less isolated. Have you tried St. john's wart or one of the natural mood remedies? If you are on certain meds you can't take them so please check with your Dr or the drug store before starting any of them.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• take a trip to warmer climates if you can.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I know several people who go to the tanning bed. The light boost once a week for just 4-6 minutes really helps them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:21 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I keep telling my husband I want to be a snow bird when we retire... but that's 30ish years away...
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• trips to the carribean when i can afford it... now i am on zoloft but that is for ppd, not seasonal depression, there are those lights that help with seasonal depression but i have heard they make you see spots! when i was younger i would tan when i was feeling blue from the lack of sunlight. excercise creates endorphins, sex and chocolate do too. endulge in what you love, let yourself enjoy what you enjoy about life. who cares if you gain a few lbs if you are happy. do what makes you happy. if that doesnt work, zoloft does work too, just dont let them put you on too much of it (i am 150 lbs, and i take 25 mgs daily. my friend who is about 100 lbs was put on 2000 mgs. she was like a zombie! dont take too much!)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:41 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• up your vitamin D, thats why you get winter depression because of lack of proper sunlight exposure and because of that we dont get as much vitamin D as we need, so take a suppliment, and you can take more than your bottle recommends too, and be sure to get outside in the sun as much as you can....and eat well.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I just sleep alot. You don't know you're depressed when you're sleeping, and it makes the day go faster!! Okay, I know that's not a good answer, but I do think that the bears are onto something!!
    hatinnd

Answer by hatinnd at 10:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• well since Winter is just about half the year up here - we get outside a lot more, windows are all open (the curtains I mean)

eat healthy, drink lots of water and stay hydrated.

just do happy things.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• On nice days like yesterday, I take my son out. It was in the 40's. If it's in the 50's I definately go out to the Legends(outdoor mall) or somewhere nice. It gives me something to look foward to.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Dr. Oz was talking about this recently. He took a map of the US. He drew a line from LA to Atlanta GA. Then he said, "anyone who lives above this line, does not get enough sunlight to maintain the proper levels of vitiman D in their bodies." I live in OH, so I more than fall in with that group. My Dr put me on a prescription vitiman D suppliment. It helps. He said we all need about 15 mins of direct sunlight a day in order to maintain proper vitiman D levels. If it is sunny out, I try to get outside for awhile. Google, S.A.D. seasonal affect disorder. I think it has a lot of good points. Some people even go as far as buying a UV light and sit under it each day. I think in addition, the more social outlets you have in the winter the better off you are, and you are less likely to become ill as well, good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2010