my job is good for my family, but does not challenge me at all...

Should I look for a more challenging job and risk taking a more normal schedule which would upset the whole family (right now I work 3rd shift and I work 7 days and am then off 7 days)...or should I just find challenges in other areas of my life. Such as taking classes or maybe redecorating the house??

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If the children are small, and if your changing jobs would make family life not as good, then maybe you should stay with the job you have now. Consider how much longer it would be- with the children issue. If we are talking many years, or if when you could change would place you at too old to be employed in another job, then maybe now is the time. If the job is truly mind-numbing and is affecting your health (mental, emotional, physical) then this is another reason to move on. Be sure you have another job firmly lined up before quitting your present job.

Answer by Bmat at 8:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• You have enough challenges at home with raising kids. (I assume.) You can take a more challenging job when they are grown. Yeah, it's boring, but if it's a good job for your family, then keep it, for now.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Welcome to my world. I have master's degree and consider myself a pretty smart, capable person but my job is not challenging at all. I have contemplated going back to school but I have a 10 mos. old daughter and my job is very secure. I have gotten a job offer in the same field at a job that I think will be more fulfilling, but we'll see. Most people do jobs that they don't find worthy of their talents, that is just the reality.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Start a stealth job search; you never know what you might find!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2010