If you could...could you?

If you could hop on a boat and go to Haiti,or any ravaged place of disaster to help, do you think you could physically and mentally handle it?
If a disaster hit your town today, could you physically remove debris off your pets and children and mentally tolerate bleeding and missing limbs?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 8:56 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• As an emergency responder, yes I wish I could help them. And if anything happened where I live I would be capable of helping no problem. There is a place I go to mentally when faced with emergent or visually graphic situations that lets me get through and do what I have to do, and deal with my own panic or physical reactions later.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I would surely try and no one really knows how will we react in such a situation. I think the adrenelin would kick in and we would do the unthinkable.

Answer by older at 9:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• For some it is not a choice,,, they are there and they have to deal with it whether they like it or not ,,,,,, if God forbid a disaster hit my town I would like to think, I could step up and help,,,, but until you experience it who knows ?

As for going to a disaster zone , well unless i had some useful skill , i would not flatter myself that I could do any better than someone already there, so i would leave it to those who have the required skills.

Lets thank God we have that choice, pray for those affected, have compassion for those in need and do as much as we can for these people from a far !!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I've found that mentally I'm up for a lot more than I would like to have to deal with, but I do collapse after the emergency is over. Physically I'm not so sure my pudgy little body would be of much use in a dig out in 80 degree heat.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I think right now they are only looking for doctors,nurses and military to help dig bodies out to come down. I don't have that kind of skill set. Plus, food and water are in such high demand that they really can't just have a ton of people show up.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 9:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• As a nurse, yes. As a mom/human, it would be difficult-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I am a very strong person. I am also a military wife. I handle whatever comes my way.

---When I was 10 my Mom was bitten by a copperhead snake. We lived out in the country. She was flipping out and there was no 911 back then. I took charge getting her and 2 little sisters..one only a few months old..into the car and I drove to the hospital. I got lots of pats on the back AND my picture in the paper. I was cool as a cucumber thoughout the whole ordeal.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• We lived in Mississippi when Katrina hit. We were on our own compared to all the help New Orleans got. We had to collect our own bodies and bury them ourselves since there was no effort to really help us here. We lived in tents, had no electricy or water for many months. New Orleans Burbon Street was up and running before many of us were able to take a shower. Our homes were completely gone just the concrete foundation. My husband and I stayed behind to wait out the hurricane in the hospital with our infant son. He was born the week before very premature. He died when the power went out and they could not get the generator going. We could not move him he was too fragile. We went to look for my husbands parents we got word they were missing. We found their bodies 5 blocks away in a debri field. Cont.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• It is hard to say what any of us would do unless we were right in the middle of the ordeal. But I do keep calm and I have had some strange feats of strengths in emergencies. During a hurricane in Florida in 1975, for example,I lifted heavy furniture to the front door in order to keep it closed. And this wasn't lightweight furniture. LOL. But I don't know how I would react to blood and all the injuries. Who could know? I hope I never have to find out.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Cont. There was no one to help us all the efforts were in New Orleans at that time I suppose. We used plastic tarps we found to cover the bodies we found and continued to search for my inlaws. We found them after three days they were badly decomposed and we never found my father in laws head. We had to bury our own by hand there was no equipment. My son was buried with my mother and father in law. My other children were safe in another state finally got to them a couple months later. We lived in a tent on our property for many months. Our local credit union was gone so we had no money. Took 7 months to speak to our insurance agent. We had no income my husbands company was gone. We ate what food we could find and eventually when help made it our way we were very greatful. I would go to Haiti in a heartbeat if I could. We were not as bad off as them but I could go help. We have sent what little money we have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jan. 15, 2010