anxiety meds for a 5 year old ASD?

Almost every ounce of me says 'no. Absolutely not! He is only 5!' Then this little tiny part of me say' But what if it helped. If it did think of how much easier things would be.' Who do I listen to? The right or the left? 90% of his problem in school and his meltdowns stem from anxiety...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would say try it...trying it is not a committment, if it doesnt work or he has side effects, you can always take him off. One thing I learned with my adhd/aspergers child was that school was terribly rough on him before his meds. When your child is doing the best he or she can and no matter what they do, it still isnt enough, it makes for a very unhappy child who is often anxious about going to school, knowing that. I wish I had listened to my doctors 3 years ago, and I feel bad that my son had to go through that because I was so anti meds. He's now 9 and is more content and happy with school than Ive seen him ever.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 1:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Go with your gut. Mom knows best.

Have you looked at diet intervention?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• OP:: Yes he has been taken of of refined sugar, artificial colors. they wanted us to try a egg, dairy and gluten free diet but we just can't afford it... We were going to try but the specialized foods made our grocery bill twice as much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yes, that is a hard decision to make. My son is 13, and his Phd just suggested meds for anxiety- she thinks it will really help him especially with 1 big issue that he is dealing with right now. I am going to try it and see if it works....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• to get rid of dairy, you don't need to replace it with dairy substitutes. you can have oatmeal (is this gluten free?) in the am, you don't need cheese, you could use oil instead of butter. i haven't looked much into gluten, or what to eat instead, but i think rice tortillas instead of bread for sandwiches, and grains like quinoa, and brown rice are good instead of bread too. these things are not expensive. increasing fruits and vegetables is always a good idea for everyone. good luck! extreme dietary changes can be very hard on the whole family, but with dairy and gluten being the #1 and #2 food allergens/ intolerances, you can all reap the rewards from eliminating them from your diet.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2010