dont offer pedialyte for diarrhea?

someone told me to not offer pedialyte for diarrhea due to the sugar content...but isnt replacing electrolytes very important? I have been offering just water throughout the day as well.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It does have sugar. Less than sports drinks. You can also buy unsweetened coconut water (not the can of milk or cream). It has better electrolytes than any of the dehydration drinks on the market. It's not sweet or sugary. It usually comes in a big box. The natural section has it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• gatorade is good for kids but there babys yes pedialyte for them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• my doctor told me water is just as good
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I was told to never offer gatorade, because it doesn't have the balance of electrolytes kids needs. It's made for sweating athletes, not kids pooping. We choose pedialyte if our kid has diarrhea and isn't nursing.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i have never had any cases of diarrhea that lasted long enough for us to even worry about it! i would try natural products before heavily processed products, though.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Most kids won't drink that stuff anyway. Mix 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup juice(orange is best) and 1/2-1 tsp sea salt. Same thing-taste better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My kids don't usually have poop problems but rather vomit problems. And our pedi always says to give pedialyte if either of them refuses to drink or starts vomiting a lot or if we don't have any (since it isn't always something we have on hand) to give Powerade or Gatorade.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I was told pedialyte is fine. Just not to go back to full strenght formula if an infant.
    Anonymous

• We were told when my son was in the ER for dehydration due to diarrhea last week to NOT give WATER! They said to only give him pedialyte.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 1:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I was told the same as chelleybeans. If they have true diarrhea then you should NOT give water. It doesn't hydrate fast enough for what they are loosing. They need the electrolytes that is in pedialyte

Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 2:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2010