Am I doing something wrong???

My son is three weeks and two days old. It seems he sleeps almost the entire day, he is maybe awake two or three hours out of the day and when he is eating. Everything seems normal but when he is awake he seems very fussy, espeicially at night...he nonstop cries. I tried gas drops which helped a little. I have to put him in bed with me at night in order for him to sleep. How fussy is normal??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like he is normal to me, remember he is adjusting to life outside of you, a lot of elements come into consideration. Seems to me you aren't doing anything wrong, it is just a phase one of many that he will be going through, hang in there mom, you are doing fine!
    You might want to try to bundle him up with a blanket (burrito style) like they did in the hospital, it makes them feel secure.

Answer by older at 9:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Can they get colic with breast milk?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yes, they can, by inhaling air when they suck.

Answer by older at 9:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Some babies are fussy. My older son was very fussy as an infant and wanted to be constantly held, was particular about how you held him and wanted to be constantly walked around. My neice was similar as an infant.

But, what is the quality of his cry like? My younger son screamed and cried any time he was awake. It was terrible. It wasn't just fussy, it was a cry that said he was in pain. He was eventually diagnosed with reflux and put on meds. After a few weeks of meds he was a completely different baby. He was content, happy and easy going.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 9:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• It felt like my son spent his first month crying. We couln't figure out what it was. The pediatrician said that he was doing great and there wasn't anything that could be physically causing him to cry. It was just everything was so new for him, and it was hard for him to take in all that new stuff.
    You are not doing anything wrong. Just try to listen to his cry and learn what it means (for example, my son makes a sound/cry that sounds like his is saying "ma" when he is hungry). My son is 3 months old now and a very happy baby He finally stopped crying his fifth week. Hang in there.
    CreativeEdge

Answer by CreativeEdge at 10:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I also meant to add, he ended up sleeping in our bed too for the first several weeks just so we could all sleep. He did not like his crib at all. Now, he loves sleeping in his crib and even will just hang out in it if he is awake for a little bit. He still loves being held and prefers that over his swing, but he's my little snugglebug. I hope that brings a little bit of encouragement.
    CreativeEdge

Answer by CreativeEdge at 10:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Thanks everyone! He seems to calm down when he is held, especially when laying on my chest and having his back rubbed. He has been spitting up after eating but not projectile or anything. His cry doesn't seem to be pain so I'm not sure about reflux, but I will def ask the pediatrician. Thanks again!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• He's 3 weeks? It's a growth spurt, mama. You can expect these regularly until about 6 weeks. He's going to eat, sleep, and cry a lot.

Beyond that, if it's all the time, you have to realize that it will be quite a while before baby is really content all by himself. It sounds to me like he needs to be close to you - do you have a sling or something? It's a lifesaver during the day, just like cosleeping can be a lifesaver overnight.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 11:04 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Ditto. It's growth spurt time. 3 days. 6 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months. Expect fussiness and bouts of insatiable baby at the breast followed by long sleeps. Babies grow in their sleep. Also babies that young crave closeness especially at night. it is as essential to them as food.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• He is very normal. Don't expect him to sleep all night until well past his first birthday.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2010