Is it ok to take a car through the car wash with salt all over it? We live up north and the snow is gone for now but my car is covered in road salt. Hubby says I need to wait until rains?? This his also his first year in the snow. Any help would be great!

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Travel

• yes you can go to the car wash just have the car presoaked first so the salt doesnt scratch the paint
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yes take it to the car wash. I am not understanding your Husbands reasoning for waiting for rain.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yes it is fine to go to the car wash. I don't understand why you husband would want to wait for rain... in some states that could be months away yet...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I agree, I don't understand why your dh wants you to wait until it rains. The salt is not good for your car, and it's not a good idea to just let it basically sit on your car for long periods.

Just do like the pp's said and get the prewash. OH - and also get the undercarriage wash, too, to get all the salt that gets kicked up on the underside of your car, that's corrosive, too, and you really want to get that off - honestly, that's even more important than the pre-wash to protect the paint.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i agree with the undercarriage part. i moved from the north to the south, and the first time i took my car in to get it serviced, the mechanic asked me if i had been driving in the ocean!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Like the others said, go ahead & get it washed because the salt is not good for it. Besides, once you take it to get washed, it will rain ;-)
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• salt from the roads is really bad for your car and if left too long can start to eat away at your paint and begin the rust process.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 4:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Hubby says I need to wait until rains??rolling on floor 

I just had to laugh at this. 

Anonymous