Why do people on here say foster care is horrible?

That is so not true, I'm sure that there are your few cases, but that goes with anything. Alot of people do foster care, so that they can give a child a loving, stable and safe home, until their parents get better or they go to a forever home. I don't think that they do it for money because it pays very little and children, espcially little one are a lot of work. My only guess would be that maybe they has a bad experiece or had their child taken away from them.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 9:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Adoption

• When i was younger we did foster care. It is hard to see these children come and go. It is hard to know that they are there because there parents hit them and they have to go back within a month. We had one family that the little girl(4 yrs old) because of not having the proper care. Her teeth were rotting. When they came they stunk so bad and did not understand that you should take a bath every few days. Let alone every week. I have seen so many things and feel so sorry for those kids.

Image being home and pulled fro that. Then to a home of starngers you do not know. Then once you are getting comfortable and have great care. Put back into the old situation. They never really stay that long. We had a few that did and we ened up adopting them.

Yes you do not make much at all. Yes froster care sucks because of all you see and for the kids to be pulled in and out of homes.

I could go on & on with stories.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Because for some, it was. I have heard horror stories. My husband, who was adopted, remembers his foster parents and LOVED them. He never had a bad experience (after that place he was adopted by his mom).
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• STACEYNOEL, I do not in any way think Foster Care is horrible....but I do think the system is in bad need of a good over-haul, and a revamping of major perportions! The horror stories one reads about , most times could have been prevented, and should never have happened. I blame our state/government for this. As for the money issue, I highly doubt, anyone gets "rich" while wearing their" hearts on their sleeves", to an innocent child, whom most times will be thrown back to parents, whom cannot/will not change. I have nothing but great admiration for woman whom wish for nothing more than to be a mother....to a child, whom is in NEED of a Mother, even if it is only temporary. These couples, have hearts of gold and strength of steel, of which I could only strive to be half as much, Blessings, C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Ask some grown foster kids who aged out of the system after being shuffled about for years how great foster care was for them? No, I never had a child taken from me & never will (thanks for big assumptions though) No, I am not a foster child. I have spoken with some. I also know some foster parents & while I know they are good people, it is still difficult on the child. Isnt that is what is important here..the child..and how the child feels? They are taken from their family & placed with strangers & while the environment they come from & the one the go to can be vastly different obviously there is hardly a smooth transition. Despite coming from an abusive home many kids still profess love for their parents. So even though its a better thing for them to be removed in an abusive situation, the child a lot of times does not see it that way. They are scarred by the abuse & then again by being taken away.
    Anonymous

• your a bad guesser
    Anonymous

• The foster care system is so messed up. While yes, you do have some wonderful loving homes. There are the ones who sexually abuse, physically abuse, or just plain do foster care for the money. The children age out in a program that allows the biological parents chance after chance. The trauma of being placed in foster home after foster home is horrific. It is not always in the best interest of the child. If you look at the hundreds of children awaiting for parents it is so sad. Instead of placing them in permanent loving homes from the start they sit and wait for a mommy and a daddy who cannot always get their act together. So the child suffers.
    Anonymous

• staceynoel, I understand where you are coming from because I, too, got in it to adopt a child who could not return home to his birth family. Foster care was "good" for my son, because he was being put in danger & was an infant totally dependent on others for his care. His mother was given a year to change her ways and for whatever reasons (her own) she was not able to manage that. We still love her and pray for her because without her, we would not have him. We are thankful that he is safe & secure, but also believe that despite her inability to parent him, that she did love him. During that year, I tried to get as many questions answered regarding family history, etc, and put it in a "Life Book" for him for when he's older. I also got as many pictures of her with him as I could. I consider them precious & valuable.

There are terrible things that happen in FC, no doubt, but I (& your sis) are making a positive difference!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I was placed in foster care for a year...I wanted to be with my parents. My roomate who was 15 had sex with the 10 yo in the next room. The foster mom was always gone, and everyone fought all the time......
    My friend was raised in foster homes because dad murdered mom, she was beaten in one, molested for two years in the second home. They aren't all great. I guarrantee you will hear more negative experiences coming from adults who grew up in the system, than positive. A lot of people just do it for the check. Not all, a lot.
    Anonymous