Is my period supposed to be this bad? (Sorry about the TMO)

I gave birth to my son 3 months ago (vaginally) and breastfed him for a little over six weeks. Last month I had my first period and it was nothing. There were no cramps and the bleeding was very light. This month I feel like I did right after I delivered. The cramps feel like I'm in labor again and the bleeding is so heavy that I keep having to change my overnight maxi pad every hour or so. Then, last night I realized I had passed a clot which I've never done except after the birth. I hate moving around because every time I do I can feel it coming out, almost like I'm peeing.
Is this normal after having a baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Health

• Normal for you. I didn't get my period for 5 months after having my daughter. Which was normal for me. I bleed heavy and know understood when friends say they can feel the flow of the period. I never experienced that until after I had my daughter. My cramps are more deep and tense, were before the baby I had no cramps. I've had blod clot periods before. But for you it could be that you passed a clot because the first time you had your period it was light. It could have been a left over.

But, your best bet is to ask your doctor.

Don't get me started on peeing..........................
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 10:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2010