Getting married...SIL question

My SO & I are getting married this October (!!) - Devin & his sister are not getting along at all right now. She has been a drug addict for years now & it has escalated to an awful point. They do talk & her and I talk and are on good terms, but she has been very nasty to me and still is on and off. I know it's all empty & because of her addiction, but it's not easy to just forgive & forget. She also steals money, jewlery, anything she can sell from everyone. So, neither of us really want her in our wedding, but I feel bad. My sister will be a bridesmaid & my brother is going to be one of Devin's groomsmen, so I feel guilty not including his sister. What do you think?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 9:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• IMO your side of the wedding party should be people you want in it, his groomsmen should be people he wants. I wouldn't worry about it and if she asks, just explain that you already had your party picked out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about including her in the wedding. I agree with Anon.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I ust got married and I did not put his sis in the wedding. It is your wedding and your bridal party, have who you want and love up there. If you can not trust her then I would say no. If she can sober up and patch up family relationships and stop the stealing then maybe reconsider. But in the end this is your day and you have to be happy, you will have these pictures for the rest of your life, if you are not happy it will show.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Neither of you want her so why would you have her? You have people YOU WANT involved in your wedding. Chances are she'd pull something stupid anyways so you're better off without her involved. It's not always the drugs that make people like her the way they are. Some people are just downright stupid and mean.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• brideNo I wouldn't put her in out of guilt. If she disrespects you then you shouldn't reward her with the privilege of being in the wedding party

Answer by admckenzie at 10:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Thanks, ladies!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I am sorry but I have no sympathy for a person like that, a drug addict who would steal from their own family. I wouldn't want her in my wedding, or even at my wedding. JMHO
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 12:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I thought you were going to say should we invite her to the wedding. NO don't put her in the wedding party. That would be nuts.
    Anonymous