when you cook, do you use a recipe from a cookbook? or just make stuff up?? LOL

I got three cookbooks for Christmas and I guess I should use them. they are from good cooks. two are from guy fieri's show Diners, Drive ins and Dives, and the other one is the Deen Brothers cookbook...
all the recipes should be good. Guess I'll try one later tongiht.

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have a ton of cook books. I look at the pictures. I don't use recipes. Sometimes I'll check for measurements like if I'm making candy or fudge or something that requires exactness.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I sue recipes online. I print them off.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• me too...wish me luck, my whole damn family are such picky eaters!!
    ilovedogs1967

Answer by ilovedogs1967 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Usually start with a recipe the first time, and then tweak it from there over time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I do not have the ability to cook without a recipe. I have recipes I have made dozens of times, but I must be cooking-challanged because I will not be able to repeat it from memory even if my life depended on it. I also cannot just guess what kind of food to create. I guess I'm not creative. DH, on the other hand, will create wonderful meals out of nothing! I can be frustrated and saying "we have no food in this house!" And I swear the fridge and cupboards will be bare, but DH will create a meal that everyone likes, w/ no recipe, only his own creativeness.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I usually use a recipe as a guide, anyway. I rarely remember enough of a recipe to be able to do without it, but I do adjust them.

Answer by Bmat at 10:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I cook from the Heart...lol.
    I am a HUGE FOODIE.....so I tend to make up my own recipes most of the time ;)
    There are times I go by recipes...but I also end up tweeking them how I LIKE...hehe.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 10:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I love cookbooks - there are some recipes that I've made up, some that I've gotten from friends or that I grew up having, and some that I got from cookbooks. Some of those I make exactly as said, and some I've modified and made "my own" in that I've added or deleted things, or changed amounts of things.

Plus, there are a lot of things that I don't measure at all when I make, I just sort of know about how much I add, what it looks / smells / tastes like. It seems to work for me :-) Now, I don't do this when I bake - since that's more of a chemical reaction than cooking, it needs to be more exact in the measurements.

But as far as cookbooks go, I have a bunch of them and I think they're great :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I use a recipe until I understand it well enough to mess with it. I am not good in the kitchen, so I need them. I want to take a cooking class, but don't know where to take one. :(
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I LOOOOOOOVE cookbooks!

I start with a recipe for inspiration and build it the way I want. I rarely ever actually follow the recipe.

I have about 200 cookbooks. *blush*. and my cooking magazine collection....but then I am also a chef so that might make a difference (or make me feel entitled to NEED cookbooks)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2010