Can I Can I Can I Can I Can I ummm Can I get my DGS who is 2-1/2 to stop stuttering so much?

He was very verbal at an early age and went thru a stuttering phase about 6 months ago. We thought he was over it but it's back with a vengeance. Almost every sentence takes forever to get out because he gets "stuck" on the first two words. Sometimes we'll stop him and say things like "what do you want to say" or "slow down" or "start over" and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It definitely looks like he's trying to say it before the thought is fully organized in his head. You can see him getting frustrated about it sometimes. Any suggestions for a way to get him thru this phase?

MimiStacie

Asked by MimiStacie at 10:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tell him to take a breath and blow out, this might help him collect his thoughts.

Answer by Bmat at 10:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My son went through this and I personally think it is just their little brains working faster than they can speak. Be patient and it will pass!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I am a teacher and was talking to our speech pathologist just the other day about my daughter. She doesn't seem to be at the extent of your child. But she did say that sometimes we have to teach them to slow down, take a breath, and then start over. You might also want to talk to your pediatrician about it. They may want to get him in with a specialist to just nip it in the bud!! Good luck momma!
    Sonylena

Answer by Sonylena at 11:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Stop interrupting him when he is talking or trying to talk, that just brings more attention to it. Be patient and let him talk. My son stuttered at that age and so do a lot of kids and they outgrow it. I teach 3-5 year olds and work closely with a Speech Pathologist and she said the same thing, just give them time and don't interrupt them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2010