Can I Can I Can I Can I Can I ummmm Can I help my 2-1/2 yr old DGS get over his stuttering?

He was very verbal at an early age and went thru a stuttering phase about 6 months ago. We thought he was over it but it's back with a vengeance. Almost every sentence takes forever to get out because he gets "stuck" on the first two words. Sometimes we'll stop him and say things like "what do you want to say" or "slow down" or "start over" and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It definitely looks like he's trying to say it before the thought is fully organized in his head. You can see him getting frustrated about it sometimes. Any suggestions for a way to get him thru this phase?

MimiStacie

Asked by MimiStacie at 10:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• my younger brother was that way, i think it is something that they outgrow.just keep telling him to go slow
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• my first son went through this, but my 2nd did not. we were just patient with #1. we thought it was just his thoughts going faster than his tongue.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I stuttered until I was a freshman in highschool.
    It would always get better than come back worse.

I always had problems with the word "you."
    & like you said about your son, I also had trouble with thebeginning of sentences.

The best advice is to just be patient and not frustrate him.
    that was always my problem, I'd get so frustrated with everyone telling me to slow down & start over.

Good luck.
    ammbbbeeeerrrrr

Answer by ammbbbeeeerrrrr at 3:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2010