Unable to find a doctor...

I haven't been to my OB/GYN since September 2008. I had no reason to make an appointment since then, but I called today to see if I could set up an appointment because I've been having some issues and wanted them checked out. Apparently, because I haven't been there in over a year, I am no longer a patient there. WTF?! The nurse told me to try this other office. I called them and they don't accept my insurance. I went to my insurance's website, and the only OB/GYN offices listed are the two I just called. Is there any way I can go see a PCP or some other regular doc to discuss my issues with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Health

• i would call the insurance group. it is no longer recommended to get paps every year, so why should your ob require annual visits? it could be riding the line of insurance fraud...so the insurance company may be the best place to start. if the ob is threatening patients to get more $, then they could be in trouble! i do think that many pcp's are able to give exams, not sure what issues you are dealing with.
    Good Luck to you and sorry about your troubles!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I'd call you the doctor and found out where that's listed as a policy. Plus it's my understand they have to notify you in writing. I don't understand your doctor is not taking new patients? I'd call the insurance carrier and register your complaint about the doctor and ask for another list of GYN doctors. They should have GYNO doctor's that don't deliver babies.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 10:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• When you checked your insurance carrier doctor's list, did you select only doctors within a small mile radius, or did you expand out to include the nearest larger city? I can't imagine that there are only 2 OB/GYN's in your plan! Try a larger city or regional hospital. Since you don't need to see an OB/GYN regularly (as in pregnancy related), then driving a little further once a year shouldn't be a major inconvenience. :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:25 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I believe I found a regular gyno. Gonna give her a call now and see if she's taking new patients. If not, I'll be calling my insurance to complain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Also, I live in a big city. The OB/GYNs listed are part of a healthcare group. There are more than 2 listed at each location. But I don't drive, so I can't really go farther than the area I live in now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I called a new gyno and left a voicemail for her to call me back. She's accepting new patients and takes my insurance, so I hope she calls back soon so I can get an appointment.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I don't hear from this gyno, I'll be calling my insurance to discuss this with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2010