3 year old does not sleep through the night

My daughter is 3 and has never really slept all night long. When she was 10 months old we tried CIO and it worked and she slept all night in her own bed from 9pm till 8am until she was about 19 months. She started having issues which we thought was acid reflux and she was vomiting in her sleep at about 17 months. At 19 months she started waking up at night and if I let her CIO she would vomit. It tok the doctors over a year to figure out what was wrong and stomach is slow at digesting so the food is still sitting above her stomach many hours later. Crying causes a stir and she can't hold it down. Now, I can get her to fall asleep in her own bed, sometimes she plays for hours but for the most part she stays. Anywhere from 1am to4 am she wakes up and wants in my bed. I can not let her CIO and while she was sick I let her come in because her tummy hurt. But now its been well over a year and I'm exhausted at night.

bugsmom06

Asked by bugsmom06 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Also if I wake up early in the morning she senses that I am no longer in bed and gets up. As long as I am in bed with her she will sleep until about 8 or 9. She also has no problems falling back asleep once in my bed. I just want to put her back in her own bed and make her stay there. How do I do it without letting her CIO?? We would like another baby in about a year but I can not do that if I have my 3 year old in bed with me too. Any suggestions?
    bugsmom06

Answer by bugsmom06 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• At this age she is able to understand what is her space and what is your space. Since you are laying her down in her room at night, maybe start a routine of snuggling up with a book and rocking in a rocking chair or even music playing softly as well, making her room a comfy cozy place. Relaxing like that before bed can have a great effect on sleep. As far as when she wakes up... Just say, "No, you sleep in your bed," when she comes to you in the middle of the night. Just walk her back to bed calmly, get her back in bed. Do an abbreviated routine of what you did at normal nite nite time and leave the room. Hopefully the extra sooting may help settle her enough to get her back to sleep. Lots of luck.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• There's always the reward method... Start with..if you sleep in your bed all night by yourself you will get this or be able to do that. And then once she understands that concept try increasing the time. Like if you spend a whole week in your own bed til morning we'll take a spcial trip to such-and such. Or try the coin method. Every night she sleeps in her own bed she earns a coin. After so many coins she gets a special treat. Let her put the coins in herself and mae sure she can see how many she's got and how many she has left to get. Kids can actually get excited about this and it might work. Also if she just ikes the feeling of having you beside her you could try some kind of a kids body pillow. Or if she just likes the warmth of being beside you try extra blankets on her bed? Maybe buy a special new blanket or pillow or Lovey (night toy) that she picks out that she can have on/in her bed at night.
    MyRainbowBabies

Answer by MyRainbowBabies at 1:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• That way when she wakes up and wants to come into your bed you can remind her that the new blanket/pillow or lovey etc isn't in your bed, but only in hers (and don't let her ever take that pillow/blanket/lovey into your bed or it negates the whole purpose of buying it.) Just a few suggestions...hope one of them will help!
    MyRainbowBabies

Answer by MyRainbowBabies at 1:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2010