How many bowel movements should a 2 month old have in a day?

I think my son is getting constipated because he eats all the time and seems to have a tummy ache. Somedays he doesn't even have a bowel movement.

TiffanyLove18

Asked by TiffanyLove18 at 5:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • is he bf or formula fed? I only have experience with bf babies at that age and I know they can go days without a bm.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 7:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2008

• my daughter is the same way,she is formula fed and eats all the time,she usually goes every morning around 6..but the past 2 days she hasnt gone til later in the day!! i actually go to the doc on the 23rd, and i know thats a question i have for her!!
    MariahsMama09

Answer by MariahsMama09 at 8:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2008

• Constipation is only if the stool is hard to pass, it has nothing to do with how often it happens. If it's still soft, he's not constipated. If his stomach hurts it's probably more related to gas than constipation.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 8:33 AM on Sep. 14, 2008

• My kids pooped with every feeding at that age...but like the above poster said, it has nothing to do with how often they go. If it's a dry, hard poop, then that's not normal for a 2 month old. Talk to the doctor if that's the case.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:36 AM on Sep. 14, 2008

• i asked the doctor this while i was at my app on the 11th. My son goes two days inbetween, she said as long as hes not bloated, and not hard pellets, and hes not screaming when trying to go, then its fine. She said some kids go 4 or 5 days and are fine. But if there constipated, cranky, and seem to be really gasy she said to but vaseoline on a qtip or thermonter, and insert it an inch up the rectum to stimulate it to come out.
    DanielleStover1

Answer by DanielleStover1 at 8:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2008

• Little bodies are all different. When my little girl was 2 months I was concerned b/c she would only poop once a every 5 days (she was breastfed)! The doctor told me not to worry as it was not abnormal. You can also check out this website for really great answers to these types of questions http://www.askdrsears.com/default.asp
    Put your mind at ease and consult your doctor, at worst it will cost a copay- but you will know, be reassured, and get baby the help he needs if there is a problem.
    aebaby

Answer by aebaby at 8:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2008

• My eight kids had 8 different ways. The one I worried about only went once a week from after he cleared the meconium onward. (I think he goes daily now, at age 13). Anyway, I would look at the amount of wet diapers as a better guide to how his system is working. ANd really there are vast differences between a breastfed babies' poo and a formula fed babies' poo. Mine were breastfed. So, whomever's guidance you accept, be sure they are feeding or have fed their baby in the same fashion as you are choosing. Go with your gut, and if you feel uneasy, investigate further by calling the doctor.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 8:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2008

• It's normal for them to have a bowel once a day or even once every other day at this age. If he does seem really fussy && when he does have a bowel movement, it's very thick, talk to your doctor about what you can do.
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 12:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2008