Does your child have "godparents"?

i was wondering if this was just a black cultural thing or do other cultures do it as well? what does having godparents for your child mean to you?

Babiluv80

Asked by Babiluv80 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• I really don't think it is a black cultural thing, I think it is a religious thing. They are expected to bring the child up in the Christian faith and are there to sponsor the child at the baptism. We haven't decided whether we are baptising our daughter yet. We don't attend a church, so we don't want to just do it, to say we did it. We want her to be able to decide what church she belongs to. We've been discussing the idea of having some kind of "godparents", which to us would basically mean someone to look after her if something happened to us.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• It's not a "black" thing, it's also a Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopalian, thing. I don't believe in baptizing babies, so I don't do the whole godparent thing. I do have someone assigned in my will to take care of my children if I am unable to.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• No my children don't have god parents. I thought it was a catholic thing......
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 11:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yes. It's definitely not a black cultural thing... It's very common with Catholics. I actually even have Godparents... To me, Godparents are important because if anything happens to the parents, there is already someone ready and prepared to take care of the children.
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 11:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• our family is catholic.

my girls have godparents. and we're godparents to my BILs kids

Traditionally, godparents were informally responsible for ensuring the child's religious education was carried out, and for caring for the child should they be orphaned. Today though a godparent tends to be an individual chosen by the parents to take an interest in the child's upbringing and personal development.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I grew up with Godparents, and I also grew up Catholic.. Our children weren't raised in the catholic church so no they don't have god parents. I just prayed nothing ever happened to my parents, I didn't want to go live with either of my god parents. One of them was a horrible mother,(my aunt), and the other was a cousin that didn't have any children and was a functioning alcoholic... I was so relieved when I turned 18,lol...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• It's actually a Catholic tradition and my son has Godparents; my sister and brother-in-law. I also have two Godchildren.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I was christened and have godparents but my children were not and do not. MY DH and I do not prescribe to any organized religion.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• No my kids do not have godparents. My kids were dedicated in the Southern Baptist church, but we don't do godparents.

Answer by missanc at 12:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yes I had a 'godparent' growing up and all four of my children have the same 'godparents'. I have them written in my husbands and my will and have let those around us know where the kids will go if something happened to my husband and I. I did want to add we are not catholic; we did choose godparents because we wanted to ensure our children would be left with people we chose and trusted to raise them.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2010