I work evenings and my husband goes without eating.....

He will feed the kids but will not make anything for himself and I do not like that. I work I only have one or two nights home so I was looking for some quick/easy recipes to make for him before I leave to make sure he eats and the kids eat well. I will select a best answer for the recipe I can use the most frequent, thanks!!

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Crock pot Salsa Chicken

* 4 to 6 chicken breasts
    * 32 oz. salsa (2 16 oz. jars)
    * 1 15 oz. can corn, drained
    * 1 16 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed

Lay chicken pieces in bottom of crock pot. Top with rest of ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours until chicken is done. Serve with rice, or with flour tortillas, sour cream, black olives, tortilla chips, etc.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• well, At least he feeds the kids. Mine would not. he always said "they said they weren't hungry" Like a 2 year old would know???. then when I came home about 10 they would be awake and say they wanted food. Hubby is a big boy he will figure out if he wants to eat. Luch meat, hot dogs, TV dinners, a cassarole in the fringe or Cold chicken would be things my family will eat when I am gone.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• my ex was that way...

what I did was make favorites like Lasagna, Stuffed Peppers, Scalloped Potatoes, Meatloaf, Quiche, etc. and I would seal them up in the freezer with easy heating instructions so that H could choose from any number of his "Favorites" when I couldn't be there to cook for him. Or I would grab one and heat it before I left, arrange it nicely for him on a plate and stick it in the fridge so it was waiting on him. He finally explained one day WHY he didn't eat when I wasn't there- he saw food, meals I had prepared as a source of affection... Truly the quickest way to that man's heart was through his stomach lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:21 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Well also I would have to say the hot dogs would be a hit and easy to make.. if you have a crock pot you can stick whatever you like in it the night before. you could put beef tips in it with some beef gravy and vegetables that he likes, or u could do chicken, chicken gravy with some stuffing and water.. also you could put together a meatloaf the night before with your taste and seasongnings and put in it the pan the night before in the refridge. all he has to do is put it in the oven the next day! easy huh? or... just simply season the chicken night before. i have a wonderful receipe if u would like with chicken, chicken gravy, stuffing and rice yum! and he can just throw it in the oven! hope ive helped! also you could prep a roast night before
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 11:21 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Ugh, too bad for my husband. You don't want to cook for yourself then I guess you go hungry.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• This isn't the healthiest, but my hubby and kids love it: Cook one bag egg noodles in boiling water. While they are cooking, saute 1 pkg sliced hot dogs in 1 Tbsp. margarine. Add 1 Tbsp. diced onion if desired to the sauteeing hotdogs. When noodles are done and hotdogs are lightly browned, drain the noodles and combine together along with 1 to 2 cans condensed tomato soup. Serve. Add a salad and steamed veggies to the meal.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• A crockpot would be a great tool in your situation. You can make chili, stews, beef or chicken or pork roasts, meat & sauce/gravy to serve over rice or noodles. There are so many things you can just put in there in the morning and let them cook all day. He'll have a hot meal whenever he's ready to eat.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I have a budget meals and quick prep meals and do ahead meals in my category list.

daniellecooks.wordpress.com

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Steak & Gravy

* 2 to 2 1/2 lb. round steak, cut into serving size pieces
    * 1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
    * 1/4 cup water
    * 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup

Place steak pieces in crockpot. Add rest of ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice.
    michiganmom116

• Go to cooks.com and get a bunch of casserole recipies, that way, you can make it when you get the chance, and he can pop it in the oven when it's dinner time.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2010