How do you keep blankets on your kids at night?

My 15 month old daughter keeps waking up at night because her blanket slips off her. We dress her in warm pajamas, and turn the heat up but she still gets cold. We tried putting her in those wearable blankets when she was younger but she hated them because she couldn't move her legs around. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

momof2girlz33

Asked by momof2girlz33 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• best I can offer is warm socks and warm jammies. My daugher always ends up kicking her blanket off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• You can't. Layer the pjs (my friends do long-sleeve pjs underneath the footed really warm ones. Or put her in a wearable blanket... She may have a different reaction to the sleep sack now that she's older.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My son does the same thing. At 2 she will start covering herself but until then I put socks on under the pjs with a longsleeve t-shirt. Also right before I go to bed I check on the kids and cover them up. If she is in a bed you could tuck the blankets around her under the bed but enough to give her room to move. Also if you have a crib for her its easier for her to move around, if you dont already start putting a flat pillow on the one side to get her use to sleeping on the same side.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I don't put any blanket on my baby, he kicks it off. i put worm clothes on him and keep the room at 72 F.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My son does the same thing. Instead of pulling the blanket back on him, he yells for me and tells me to warm him up or put the blanket back on him.. I figure it won't be forever and I am just trying to teach him each time I go in there to do it himself, he's 2
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I have those fleece throws you can get at any store folded in half on their beds, they lay on one half and I cover them with the other, almost like a sleeping bag.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Neither of my kids liked the sleeper bags either. I think they were Halo's. So I put socks and either a onesie or t-shirt on them with their pj's. Before I go to bed I put the blankets back on them. If I get up during the night I check my daughter especially, she's know to flip the blanket off.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I was going through some old things with a friend and we found a book her mother had about babies from when she had been born in the 1940s. The book stressed the importance of keeping the heat up to at least the 50's at night. How things change, now we think the heat in homes has to be in the 70's for babies.

Overheating babies and using blankets are risk factors for SIDs. Once a baby is over a year the risk of SIDs decreases. Dressing your toddler in long underware under pajamas should help a lot.

I slept with my toddlers and they get plenty toasty. It's more of a concern for them to not get overheated.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I tuck the blanket under the mattress on both sides. They can't kick it off if it is tucked in, I can't do it until after he's asleep though and even then he'll sometimes still manage to keep the blanket tucked in and be laying ontop of it the next morning when we get up. I don't know how but it happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I tucked it in on both sides when they were little and didn't move so much. Now I just layer the pjs - he wears a tshirt and socks underneath a fleece footed sleeper, plus we keep the heat on 70 at night.

Answer by missanc at 12:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2010