what kind of fabric (for furniture) is easiest to clean when you have pets and kids that spill and shed?

I need to buy a new sofa and I want to get one that won't stain very easily. I thought a leather sofa would be easiest to clean, but I'm not sure?

cindycindy

Asked by cindycindy at 11:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You need to make sure you treat it with what ever it is called. I have a friend that has leather and she is constantly worried about her leather couch. Her kids can not go by it with drinks and she will not allow her pets on it. But I don't know if they can treat that too. I know they got this couch quite a few years ago before they had kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• leather - not so good with pets as they will scratch it up, plus leather means you need special cleaners and such, it also cracks after a while if not kept well moistened, and on hot days, it sucks to sit on! LOL you stick to it. It's also cold in winter.

I would recommend a thick polyester.

natural fibers stain much easier than synthetics.

also, check with the store and see if they offer scotch guard on their furniture.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• People will tell you leather is good but my teenage son managed to ruin a leather couch in months by sleeping on it without a pillow.

Designers on tv will say white slipcovers are great and not to worry because you can wash them. Maybe they have families that only live in their homes 2 hours a day because everyone is off at work, day care, dance classes, ect. When they are home they have a living room, a family room, a tv room and no one couch gets used much. When you live on your couch it is different?

Blue denim doesn't hold up well. I've seen lots of denim couches at yard sales and thrift stores that the denim looks horrible but the rest of the couch looks fine.

I am also looking for a new sofa. What's best of all are wood frame sofas with loose cushions and pillows. You can easily slip cover the cushions or even buy new ones. I have a loveseat now that's too small but the style is practical.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:22 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• We have set that almost feels like a velour(polyester of some sort) and it has held up to two kids and a dog jumping on it. And yes, it's been spilled on and its not stained.(it's a chocolate color) I reccomend a dark color, just in case of spills and not to go with leather since you do have kids and pets. Leather needs a lot of care and can be damaged so easily. Oh and do ask for scotchguard... it's awesome!!!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• We have a microfiber sofa and love seat in dark chocolate brown, very comfortable and everything, and I mean everything, wipes up easily with just water and a little elbow grease. We got an inexpensive set, figuring the kids would beat on it, they are only 4 and 2, at Bob's discount store. Every couple of weeks I take a clean sponge and a bowl of water and I work at the spots....smeared noses, marker, spills, etc. All comes right out. Easy to vacume too. I totally recommend it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Micro fiber..Cleans so easy and you can vacuum it also..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i have dark leather, we bought it bc at the time my ex and i had four kids between us (he has three others we share one). there is no trouble with the leather and this couch has a lifetime warranty. it's super soft and doesn't stick to your skin like some leather can. mine was around 700. i had a microfiber couch that got ruined by just one little kid! it had soooo many spots on it i would never get that kind again. if you do make sure you pay for the scotch-guarding.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• We have a microfiber set and it was treated with a stain resistor before it was delivered. With 5 kids, 3 dogs and 3 cats, it's held up great! Stains & spills wipe right off & cats can't shred it with their nails.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Microfiber. It's all we will buy, we've had our furniture for years and we have several cats and dogs.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• leather is great and really doesn't take alot of care. Just make sure you don't have an animal that likes to be on the furniture because those claws will tear it up.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2010