Does anyone have a link to info about Baby Orajel hardening babies gums and making teething worse?

I have seen people mention this, but, I can't find any studies or reports backing it.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 11:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• never heard of it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:32 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I don't have any articles on it, but I do know that my kids screamed bloody murder when ever I tried to use it. Put some in my mouth once to try it... got it on my tongue... felt like the pins and needles you get in your foot when it falls asleep! never used it again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Orajel contains parabens. Parabens are preservatives in bath and beauty products that can penetrate skin and may be carcinogenic. They are a petroleum product like gasoline. So is vasoline and most people wouldn't worry about slathering it on their babies or putting it on their lips.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I used it on my babies and it really helped their teething pain. I know I've used regular Orajel and I don't really like the numb feeling, but the baby Orajel soothed their pain and helped them sleep.

Answer by missanc at 12:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I, too, have heard this. I never researched it because the babies I have used it with screamed when it went on their gums. I use the hyland's teething tablets. They work great. I just wish Costco would sell them by the case. :)
    Jennibug

Answer by Jennibug at 1:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I heard that also when my son was 1 year old after using oragel most fo the time, i never found research to back it but I know people kept telling me at 3 months that my son was teething so I started using it then, he was colicky also but I know once his colic ended he literally felt EVERY tooth come in and he's getting his 2 year molars in and I still know every time he gets a tooth so I have to assume the amount we used on him had to have affected him, as soon as I read this when he was 1 I started teething tablets...ugh..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• http://www.hippiedippiebebe.com/health/orajel-benzocaine-safe-babies/

We used hylands teething tabs, frozen damp washcloths, and extra nursing (as much for comfort as nutrition).

Answer by rkoloms at 2:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2010