Cold medicine and breastfeeding?

What have you safely taken?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I had a cold a few weeks ago I talked with a pharmasist at walgreens. He said anything that was a decongestant could dry up my milk. I just had to wait it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Cold medicines and decongestants are not contraindicated for breastfeeding mothers and won't dry up your milk.

Cold medicines really don't work very well. What symptoms are you having?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Well, I definately have a cold. I would normally just suffer through but, I have to work tonight and my nose Won't stop running.
    Anonymous

• Well I beg to differ Gaill. I tried taking decongestants twice while nursing my child and both times my pump output went down about half while I was taking them and went right back up when I quit. Yes I know the pump is not indicative of what the child is getting, but I pumped regularly at work and would get half the output and within one day of stopping it would be right back pumping what I did before. They won't dry you up completely, but they can effect your supply. Personally I would try a nasal flush and then take some echincaea. Gaill is right that most cold medicines are okay for being passed in the milk , but for some women they can drastically affect supply.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm
    Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 2:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!

I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu

Answer by rkoloms at 2:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Decongestants can lower your milk supply. So can peppermint!!!

Check out Cold and Allergy Remedies Compatible with Breastfeeding

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Peppermint actually can dry you out.

Tylenol products are safe. Zicam is my personal favorite, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2010