Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


i'm in the midst of a serious depression. I have been depressed since i was a teen. I tried to take my own life at 15 and never received any treatment for it. Anyway, i'm now 43 and more depressed than ever. Suicide has never been far from my thoughts but it seems to be coming up more often than usual lately. My question is how do i let my family know how bad this problem is? I have never been to the dr for this and although i'm sure they know something is up, i've been this way for so long they probably just think this is who i am. Which is probably true at this point since it's been going on so long. Has anyone ever been in this position? Thanks for reading, sorry it's so long.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in About CafeMom

Answers (6)
  • I, too, suffer from depression. So does my boyfriend. Boy, don't we make a fun couple? lol I've never been suicidal, and neither has he, but I can say that if I felt suicidal, and I think vice versa for him, I would just go to him and tell him, "Honey, I've been depressed and I'm starting to have thoughts of killing myself. I'm very scared and I think I need help." They may or may not know something is up. I suffered for 3 yrs or more before I finally went to the dr and got treated, my parents (who I lived with at the time) never had a clue until I came out and said it, b/c I put up such a good front and made it seem like I was ok. It's hard to admit that you have this going on and that you need help, but especially if you are feeling suicidal, it is soooo important that you do tell someone. I hope you get some help soon. Good luck, hon!

    Answer by tropicalmama at 11:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • You need a psychological evaluation. Drugs, talk therapy or a combination of the two may change your life. Some people do have personality disorders that start in childhood or the teen years that persist throughout life. A person may be able to minimize how a disorder disrupts their life.

    Do something today!

    Answer by Gailll at 11:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • I've dealt with depression also. I was first put on an anti-depressant when I was 13. I've been on and off them since then and am now 25. When I was about 16ish, I think it was the worst. I was never suicidal really, but I was a cutter. I didn't want to die, just to feel better. I think that's what I would tell your family. That you just want to feel better. And that you need their support in getting better. You definitely need to see a dr. First, you need to get on some meds. it doesn't have to be permanent, and you don't have to stick with the first one you try if it's not working. There are lots out there. Your dr can help you find one that is right. You also need to get into some counseling so that you can talk about what you're going through. I hated the idea of talking to a stranger, but once I went, I loved it! And just like the meds, keep looking til you find one that fits you. Hang in there! Feel free to pm me, too.

    Answer by Megs5384 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • Please ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist.

    Good luck to you!!

    Answer by rkoloms at 2:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • I am 49 years old and also have suffered from childhood with depression. I have been diagnosed with bi-polar, even though I don't have the real high moods. I think that my worse times were in my early forties.It seemed like they were so bad, but when I hit 47, my depression lessened. I hope that you seek the proper treatment soon, and please tell someone about your suicidal thoughts.

    Answer by 5boysmom46 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • why haven't you gone for treatment. Why have you waited so long to let anybody know. just tell your family how you really feel. And tell them why.And if they can't help tell them that you think you need to see a therapist to get the proper treatment that you need. gl

    Answer by incarnita at 8:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.