Underlying causes to extreme water retention?

I know bp is one...but my bp is generally pretty good. I've had a gambit of tests done from kidneys to liver to thyroid to heart...And still no explanation. I retain as much as thirty lbs of water(which is apparently my saturation point) and I don't even have to have my monthly fiend...

I am changing doctors because I don't feel enough is being done to get to the bottom of this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Health

• How is your sodium intake?
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 11:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I'm no doctor, but I have heard that it can be related to heart or liver disease. Also, your body can retain water from not drinking enough water or drinking too much alcohol.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Fluid balance also has a lot to do with diet. Caffeine, sodium, mineral balance, body/ blood pH, fiber, food reactions, hormones in food, allergy to the packaging.... some people are really sensitive to common things.

Have you tried an alkaline diet? It's a good way to reset the body and dump out everything. You can get urine pH test strips just about anywhere. An alkaline diet means no acidic foods, loading up on leafy greens, broccoli, kale, sprouts, spinach, and raw nuts, beans and rice, low on meats and only high quality ones, limited dairy, no processed food. It's a high fiber diet as well.

Dandelion root is a natural diuretic that is pretty safe, but not for pregnancy. Tastes bad. Really bad. But you'll get rid of a ton of fluid.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I'm on furosimide AND HCTZ...I know-KNOW that when I've had just a leetle more sodium than my body likes, I blow up like a blimp. I'm on a limited budget, food wise(I receive FS), so it's not always possible to get the fresh fruits and veggies that I really would rather have.
    Anonymous

• Perhaps your sodium is high. When I was pregnant with my first baby I gained 67 lbs. The doctor was like you need to stop eating so much I was so embaressed. Then 2 weeks before she was due the doc was like "Oh what's your sodium intake?" I was 20 young and dumb and hadn't even realized I was eating 100% of my daily value of sodium in one meal plus I drowned everything in soy sauce. When we cut the sodium down my weight became more managable. But I retained the water until a few days after she was born. Your sodium and potassium levels have to be balanced or your tissues will swell. Unfortunatly it took my doc several months to put that together. So amazing how Doc can pass over simple malnutrition. Changing your diet will also make you feel better wish more docs would encourage this. By the way we were also on FS. Those prepackaged frozen meals, alot of canned soups, and boxed meals have an extremely high amount of sodium.
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 12:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• .. So i just started reading labels more carefully. Fruits and veggies are cheaper than most food. It may be hard to change your diet but it would help. Start spending more FS money on healthy food less on pre-packaged food you'll be able to eat better. We're on FS again and I buy alot of fresh stuff now. I'm from the south btw so I really did have to change my eating habits alot but it's worth it in the long run
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 12:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• water retention can come from being overweight, varicose veins.
    http://www.nativeremedies.com/ailment/water-retention-causes.html

I know what use to help me was eating parsley. I use to make a shake out of it. Looked horrible but did the job.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 12:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2010