what do u think

my friend and i were peggnat at the same time well i was at her house the other day and she was giving her almost 4month old a hole jar a babyfood and a 6oz bttle i asked her what in the hell are yu doing and she said i am feed her i said that was too much and she said my mom said feed her till she if full and the baby was full and slept for 4 to 5 hours now my question is should i do thath bc when i feed my daughter she is still hungry

mom_of_2_2009

Asked by mom_of_2_2009 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 4 months old a child should only be having milk. If they're hungry, more milk !

Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 12:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Its really up to you, and your baby. My oldest would totally eat a full jar of food and a bottle at that age, my middle child would only eat 5 bites or so, then a bottle. I have always been "baby-led" in that department. Your baby will let you know when they are done eating, by turning their head or something. Just dont force them to have more than they want.
    PennStateMomma

Answer by PennStateMomma at 12:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• The first time my 8 year old ever had baby food he ate the whole jar. Some babies are going to eat more than others, I think what she is doing is perfectly normal for her baby.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• my son started eatting baby food at 2 1/2 months he's almost 4 months now ( 11 days away ) and is eatting the whole thing of food his doctor told me to start him on baby food and when i told him i already did he said good my son sleeps through the night and has breakfast lunch and dinner he was born to eat he knew exactly what to do when i put food in his mouth so really it's up to you, you can try it see if yours likes it and go from there dont force the issue but from the sounds of it she'll probably enjoy it and be fuller longer
    Anonymous

• i would give my child that much at that age it's streching there stomach but if they are still hugry just put a little ceral in with there milk just to make it a little thicker and make it last longer i'd wait on the baby food
    wifeandmamaof2

Answer by wifeandmamaof2 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I agree, the baby won't over eat at that age. Feed him until he's full. It is a little early for jarred food, but I gave it to my oldest at that age. He ate a whole jar.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• NEVER put cereal in a bottle like a PP suggested. It is a choking hazard and takes the place of milk the baby should get. It is like giving a person fiber pills to make them too full to eat a full nutritious meal. Four months is very young for solids. They should be able to sit up unassisted, be interested in food, and have lost the tongue thrust reflex. That happens around six months old. The WHO recommends not starting before that because the gut is just not mature ienough to efficiently get nutrients from solids. If you spend more time pureeing foods and scraping it off the face, the baby just isn't developmentally ready. Always give breastmilk/formula first before solid foods.  read this    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Babies will tell you when they are full. I usually offer my LO (he's 7 months old) food until he turns his head or won't open his mouth. I always BF him before I offer solids. That way I know he's getting his nutrition from BM and solids are for dessert! I would never recommend feeding a baby solids before 6 monhts of age, but since she is, I think your friend is doing fine if the baby is willing to eat it.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I'd feed them until they're full, but at that age, I'd only nurse, or feed them formula. (whichever you do). THAT'S how I'd let them get full, because that is what contains the nutrients they need at that age.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Formula fed babies can start solids at 4 months and eat regular food. If you give jar food it is mostly water.

You can't just feed bottle babies whatever they want like you can breastfed babies. They are not able to regulate their intake and that's why there are charts to tell you how much to feed a feeding and every 24 hours. There are guidelines for how much food to give. The growth charts track your baby's weight to make sure you aren't overfeeding and harming your baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2010