could he have rotavirus?

the pediatrician's office is closed today, so I cant schedule an appt till monday. My son is 20 m/o. For the past few days he has vomited once a day, and every dirty diaper he has had is diarrhea. It's a yellow tint. It doesnt smell putrid at all (not that it smells like roses lol). He doesnt have a fever and he doesnt seem droopy eyed or lethargic. His appetite isnt that big. He hasnt realyl been hungry but we keep offering his favorite foods. He did eat some breakfast this morning. To replace lost nutrients I have been offering carnation breakfast and pedialyte, both of which he seems to like. can he have rotavirus w/out the fever and terrible smelling diarrhea?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 12:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• sounds like it.

all you can do is wait it out and treat the symptoms. make sure he is getting enough fluids. complications from rotavirus are because of dehydration.

yes, you can have a virus without a fever.
    Anonymous

• oh ok! from what I have read, the major signs of rotavirus are fever, lethargy and very distinct, strong, putrid smelling diarrhea. He doesnt have any of the above.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• from wikipedia
    Rotavirus gastroenteritis is a mild to severe disease characterized by vomiting, watery diarrhea, and low-grade fever. Once a child is infected by the virus, there is an incubation period of about two days before symptoms appear.[29] Symptoms often start with vomiting followed by four to eight days of profuse diarrhea. Dehydration is more common in rotavirus infection than in most of those caused by bacterial pathogens, and is the most common cause of death related to rotavirus infection.[30]
    Anonymous

• thank you anon 12:52 for that info! I am hoping our local urgent care will be open tomorrow. I hate seeing my son like this!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Well, my son got this when he was 13 months old and he wouldn't stop throwing up, he was SO lethargic that he couldn't walk more than 3 steps, he had a fever of almost 104 and it wouldn't go down and he literally wouldn't not eat or could not eat, He couldn't even keep down water.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• my dd has gotten rotovitus 4 times. 3 of thsoe she ended up in the hospital. she had fever and was puking laot. 30 times a day. her diarreah was so bad i would keep her in the bathroom. at the hsopital she was on iv for 2 days.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I doubt it. He might have any number of other stomach bugs, but it doesn't sound like Rota. Rotavirus has a very distinct foul smell, typically very watery and almost always green in color. Frequently there is fever over 101.
    Have a tummy bug doesn't require a visit to the doctor... there is nothing they can do to cure it.
    But if the vomiting or diarrhea are excessive or very frequent or he shows signs of dehydration.... no wet diapers, no tears when crying, dry lips or very lethargic then go in ASAP.
    Give small amounts of fluids and stick the the BRATTY diet... Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast, Tea and Yogurt. (all breads and potatoes too)
    Limit milk (except for the yogurt) and avoid sugary fruit juices.
    Give pedialyte and water.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• thanks for th advice everyone! my son seems to be a bit better today. no vomit since yesterday morning. But guess who is sick now...SO! he is so miserable. *consumes vitamin c* I hope i'm not next in line. I just got over 2 bugs the past few months
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2010