Nuchal cord,36 weeks?

I just had an u/s and the doctor told me that the cord might be around my baby's neck.He said he couldn't tell if it's wrapped or just near, but it was there =/

I was wondering if anyone else had/have similar experience now or in the past pregnancies and if so what was the outcome.
I'm very worried since the baby hasn't stopped moving for more than 24 h now.
Everything else looked fine during the u/s.

Thanks

girl-23

Asked by girl-23 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• about 1/3 of all babies are born with the cord around the neck. As long as your doctor is competent, it shouldn't cause any major problems.
    Anonymous

• all 3 of mine were birthed with the cord wrapped at least once around their necks... I had no complications with any of them. as soon as the head is out all that has to be done is a finger hooked under the cord to un-loop it. my ds had his wrapped 2x, my MW was not even slightly concerned, she just unwrapped it and that was it. its VERY common, and you shouldn't worry. like pp said, it happens in about 33% of all pregnancies. stop stressing.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yep, all 3 of my kids had the cord wrapped around the neck. My son had it wrapped twice. It is very common. Watch all the baby shows and you will see how many. You will also see how they undo it. There is also nothing you can do to prevent it from happening.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Actually I was told that more times than not, babies are born with the cord around their neck. My son was. My doc was surprised to see that because there was no indication of it beforehand, like heart rate drops or anything. The only thing they can do is monitor your baby closely while you're in labor and if they see any complications they think might be from the cord, worst case scenario you'd have to have an emergency c-section. In the mean time just pay close attention to your baby's movements. Its really common for this to happen so don't worry too much.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2010