How old is a normal child when they learn there colors? How old was your child?

My DD is 28 months old. She is a very smart little girl, she can count to 15 and she knows her ABC’s, she potty trained at 18 months old and she talks better than most 5 year olds. Everyone is always telling me how well she talks and how smart she is. But she dose not get her colors at all. She can’t tell you one color. I have thought about going and getting her eyes checked to see if she can even see colors. I’m going to go get it done. I have been trying to teach her, her colors for a long time I went and got work books we do flash cards I point out the colors everywhere we go and still after I would say 7 months she cant pick out one thing and tell you what color it is. If I ask her what color something is she looks at me like in talking in another language. It is to the point that I can’t work with her on them any more because I get so mad at

kristyleigh614

Asked by kristyleigh614 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• oh boy another smarty pants kid.

Anonymous

• sounds like she may be color blind.

my kids knew their colors by 18 months.
    Anonymous

• mine really 'got it' around 3-4.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I had one that knew colors by about 19 months, but my other two only knew a few colors by 2 1/2, and their preschool teacher said they were ahead of many of the kids. I think you should back off a bit, especially if you are getting that frustrated about it. She'll get it when she's ready.
    Anonymous

• To the first anon: STFU...

My son was like your daughter...He could do all that including shapes like oval, octogon..you know, crazy ones. He actually knew all his colors except black, blue, green and brown. It took FOREVER. Like until 3 or 4. He did eventually get them, so, I knew he wasn't color blind. I guess it's just because they are all dark. And color is an abstract thought compared to other things.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Well, she's only 2 years old so I wouldn't worry too much. We started colors from the time my sons were infants. Not teaching them but from birth I talked to them like I was talking too any other person. "Good morning, how are you today? Mommy is going to dress you now. Let's put your blue onsie and your white socks on.". When we played I pointed out colors, from infancy. As they got oolder i pointed out colors for their clothes as I dressed them, for their cups as I handed them to them, etc.. Once they were mobile (crawling) I would ask them to give me things like toys "find mommyyour red block" and when they couldn't find it or reached for something elseI would locate it and say "no, this is a red block". Honestly by their 2nd bdays my sons all knew their colors to identify but all children are different. My sons are now 23, 22, 19 and 18.
    Anonymous

• My son is 26 months and knows all his colors yet he is completely not interested in learning shapes or numbers. so I think each child learns at their own pace and from their own interests also.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• By 1. If I asked her to point to the pink flower then she would point to the pink ones. If I asked her to pick up the yellow bocks she would pick up the yellow ones. Your daughter probably isn't behind because at my daughter's 3 yr old check up they asked if she knew one color.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Take a breath and relax. Don't worry so much about the colors. She will get them. She's already done so well with other things, this may be the one thing that takes some time. For my youngest, it was his letters... My oldest, it was his numbers... Just don't pressure her so much and just talk to her as you shop and say things like, "oh lets get some green broccoli and some yellow bananas... or how about an... orange, orange." Things like that. And maybe when you are picking things up around the house you could ask her to put away her white socks, or hang up her pink sweater...IDK. Just thinks like that, to keep her subconsciously thinking of colors.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I would have her checked only because you've been consistently working on it and she isn't getting it. But, I'd say at 2 I wouldn't worry too much about her not knowing her colours. My first son knew his primary colours at 18 months, but my 17 month old has no concept. Granted, I will say we worked more on it with my first child since he was the only child needing our attention.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 2:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2010