not everyone on welfare is a leech...for some its hard to get off!

so im just a little tired of everyone jumping all over people on welfare with the classics like "get a job" or "my tax money this..." i just want some ppl to understand that for some it is genuinely needed and just as hard to get off. i had a baby at a young age unwed and could have easily qualified for food stamps, but i didnt apply bc i didnt need it, i did however need the medicaid and daycare assistance. with the daycare assistance i didnt need food stamps bc i was working full time and going to school full time and living with my mom. 4 yrs later i got preg again(on bc pills) at 24 still unwed and decided to move out of my moms house. daycare assistance was no longer available in my county so i had to stay home...meaning i could only work 12-15 hours a week. i then needed the food stamps. i have taken a break from school and will go back next yr hopefully, but i have no one to keep my son n truly need them. but even when

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• I respect your hard work and goals for becoming self sufficient.

Don't think school is out of reach for you - there are very generous student loans. scholarships, and grants available, and a lot of schools have onsite schools and daycares especially provided for their students like you.

I would say that's your quickest way for getting out. After you do your taxes this year go to FASFA.ed.gov to apply for financial aid for school; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much money you can get to go to college.
    Anonymous

• i get off assistance it will be very hard to match the money given for food. i once had my medicaid taken from me bc i was making too much money working at a Dollar General 30 hrs a week. they had benefits but it would have taken almost half my check to get it. i know a girl who cant get a job without all of her daughters disability money (700 bucks) being taken....well that 700 is more than she would get paid at most jobs in our small rural town, so she doesnt try to work....is it right? no but shes trying to survive. if i marry my boyfriend now, all of my benefits will be taken bc he and i together would make way too much money. so this is what i call survival. i dont stay in the projects, i live in a house i rent. i dont do drugs or anything but i am on welfare and it is hard to get off.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry for your situation but the problem people have with people like you being on welfare, is that we don't feel its right that we have to pay for your irresponsibility of getting pregnant with children you could not afford. Welfare in my opinion is for people who lose their job and can't make ends meet, have a tragedy like their house burned down, or one of their kids is sick with cancer and they are overrun with medical bills, etc. Not for people who were irresponsible and got pregnant too young. Sorry that's just how I feel.
    Anonymous

• I think that if this great country didnt have welfare that people that have "accidents" and get pregnant wouldn't have "accidents" anymore. If it was tough shit everybody has to pay for their own child more people would go out and get jobs and stop having so many kids. I know this sounds harsh but I'm really not trying to be mean. I think it is a reality. If I had a kid and know that someone else is going to take care of it, it sure is easier to have another kid. KWIM?
    Anonymous

• You can't change what's in your past.

You can only change what's in your future. My dad was once so poor he was sleeping in a barn, and today he's very comfortably retired.

I definitely think you should go to school, your children (like I do my dad) will thank you for your sacrifice to make their lives better.

Anonymous

• hey if you live with your bf then you are cheating the system...it's supposed to be the "household" income where i come from. not just the stubs you want to bring in from your job and not your bf's.
    Anonymous

• The system is not hard to get off of if you just do it... what you're wanting is the easy road... you'd rather be given $700 (for example) than earn $700. Just DON'T USE the sytem and get on with your life.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 2:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• that's because so many ppl do and it's not hard for you to find work I think you just have to find a friend to watch your kids for less money get a job and finish college it's nobody's fault you go pregnant not once but twice unmarried that's why ppl are so harsh it's almost like saying you didn't learn the first time around??? You do what you have to do to feed and support your kids even if that means paying for your own childcare so you can work alot of college campuses have daycare facilities and charge less money you ought to look into it...
    Anonymous

• You know what? When I was young and broke, guess what I did? I DIDN'T GET PREGNANT. TWICE. So there you have it in a nutshell. You made irresponsible decisions and now you're paying the consequences. Actually, all of us taxpayers are paying the consequences along with you, but I guess you already know that. I do hope that you can one day become self sufficient. Making absolutely certain that you don't have any more babies in the near future would be a totally excellent start, even if it means going to the extent of refraining from sexual activity.
    Anonymous