Retail Sales Fall in December, Surprising Analysts

Despite all the hype and wishful thinking, retail sales, reported Thursday morning, fell in December. This came as a surprise to analysts, many of whom forecasted increases of 2% or more, though there were some calling for declines of up to 3%. The holiday season wasn't enough to overcome cautious consumer spending, which has been driven largely by an unemployment rate that remains stubbornly high at 10%.

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2010/01/15/retail-sales-fall-in-december-surprising-analysts/

Does it appear that the economy isn't bouncing back like people thought?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I was one of those causious spenders...my kids didnt get much this past Christmas which is alright but yeah the money just wasnt there...hub has more people coming in checking on how much it will cost to fix their cars then actual real jobs.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• There are a couple of ardent Obama supporters here in P&CE who PREDICTED that unemployment and the economy will begin to turn around by THIS SPRING!!! How's that change working out for ya?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Hard for people to spend when they don't have a job or are underemployed. Many have given up searching for jobs and are no longer collecting unemployment so we really have no clue how many are out of work. We had our best year ever but still scaled back Christmas spending. We have a lot of family struggling and felt it was wrong to splurge when they were barely staying a float. I know many who are doing well who are holding back. The war on the upper middle class and wealthy has created a climate of not spending so we don't appear callous. Things will continue to get worse this healthcare non reform is going to really screw things up when small business owners are paying more in taxes and cut more jobs.
    Anonymous

• I know...we should be ready to move to another country where there is no recession and business is booming and then we should also call for Bush and Obama's public beheading,..or maybe we could put them in stocks and let people throw rotten fruit at them.After all, they DID cause the ruination of this great country. @@ Right? Oh geee....Just thought I would continue to post more negative and depressing posts ....like all of them here at Cafe Mom in the Politics and Current Events section. Isn't it just so much fun? Cheers!
    Anonymous

• We really cut back on our spending this year too. It is hard to spend with so many out of work or under-employed.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Oh geee....Just thought I would continue to post more negative and depressing posts ....like all of them here at Cafe Mom in the Politics and Current Events section. Isn't it just so much fun? Cheers!

***
    Politics and Current Events, like life, isn't all peaches and cream! That would be why there are OTHER sections...like "Just for Fun" and "Entertainment" to take your mind off the serious stuff.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I was going to say the same thing, Lorikeet! Of course, maybe the anon poster finds posts about Haitians suffering and dying uplifting, and that is why she is haunting this section.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• ALL of you posters constantly post items that are depressing and that discriminate against those who do not share your personal beliefs. It is just one big downer.
    So, wow....I just learned something new today: Life isn't all peaches and cream! WHat ever would I do without your instructions and your insights? LOL.
    There has to be maybe....20% good news? Huh? But you won't see that here. No way. You guys think it is more fun to complain. Go for it. @@
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I knew the anon was you Lindalu!!! @@
    Anonymous

• There is plenty of bouncing going on......

Barack and Michelle are jumping for joy on all the beds in the White House....woo hoo!!! Live it up!!!!!!

Anonymous