Unemployment claims jump higher

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The number of Americans filing for initial unemployment insurance rose more than expected last week, the government said Thursday.

There were 444,000 initial job claims filed in the week ended Jan. 9, up 11,000 from a revised 433,000 the previous week, the Labor Department said in its weekly report.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/14/news/economy/initial_claims/

What is your take on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It was more than expected because they have all talked themselves into believing that things ARE getting better. They think if they say it often enough, we'll start to believe it, too.

Besides in MY opinion, the numbers are going down each week because the companies have laid off as many people as they can, and still keep operating. There aren't many more people that they CAN lay off. I have a feeling that a lot of these new ones are from businesses that are now out of business. But, since I am not an analyst, and don't have all the reports, etc that these brainiacs do, I could very well be wrong.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• The situation is far WORSE than the government or "analysts" care to admit! Unfortunately the ability to spin this situation into something positive is dizzying at best!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Not surprising. In my county unemployment is around 18-20% and that is people still on the unemployment rolls and doesnt count those no longer getting it, or working part time. I live in an area hit hard by job losses in the manufacturing arena. Many companies left the country altogether and left the county in bad shape. I have yet to see anything done to get these jobs back or replace them with these so called "Green jobs". I know around here if a "Green" company came and offered people work theyd jump on it and be good hard workers. Instead the unemployment goes up, homeless rate goes up, crime rate goes up, and there is no hope in sight for change.

Answer by gemgem at 1:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• LOL Another surprise to the economists and our government.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• gemgem, you just described the area that I live in!! How coincidental is THAT????
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• You mean the "stimulus" bill really didn't create or save 2 million jobs? Does that mean they are lying?jaw drop

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• The real irony here - if any of the people filing unemployment worked for companies that ever received stimulus money before they were laid off, their former employers are still being counted as "jobs created."
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I agree with NP. Many of the supposedly "created" jobs lasted only hours, or a few days. Some of the supposedly "saved" jobs have now been eliminated. Of course a bunch of "created" and "saved" jobs were all false data, anyway.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• You mean the "stimulus" bill really didn't create or save 2 million jobs? Does that mean they are lying?

***

Err, ummm....not exactly!!! LOL You see, if you have been working for the same company for at least one year, and that company received a stimulus check, then, YOUR job has been counted as a "saved job" thanks to the stimulus!!! WOOT! (sarcasm) I'm afraid that when Obama is done with us, the "3-4 million jobs saved or created" are going to be the ONLY jobs still in existence!!

***

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2010/01/farewell-saved-or-created-obama-administration-changes-the-counting-of-stimulus-jobs.html

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• If you have a 4 year college degree, unemployment rates are less than 5%. I'd consider going back to school.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2010