what is the chance of having twins if your MIL in one?

my MIL is I identical twin. is that pass down on the male or female line? just curious... we are ttc #2. I hear it skips generations. any info?

Crystal321

Asked by Crystal321 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• the same as if you were pregnant by any other man in the world

twins is passed down by maternal genes, the father's history does not matter
    Anonymous

• Apparently not very high in my family lol, my mother in law is a twin and we had 3 seperate births. Apparently the way she explainedit the kids havea greater chance of having twins though
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 1:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• it means nothing. You, YOUR BODY is what determines if you have twins or not... yes, it CAN be a common factor in a family, but only on the woman's side. He is going to spit out the same amount of sperm no matter what, YOU provide the egg(s) if there is more than one that is fertilized, or one divides then you have twins.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• The possibility of having twins is passed down by maternal genes... So since we're talking about your MIL, it won't have an effect on you at all. And yes, it does frequently skip a generation. My mom was a twin (even though she "ate" her twin sister in uterus, they found parts of her inside my mom years later, freaky story), my grandmother wasn't, my great grandmother was... So in theory, I'm more likely to have twins. My firstborn was a single though. I don't really think I WANT twins, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Fraternal twinning is genetic. Identical twins are random.
    Anonymous

• My husband's family had twins and he's a twin. And my family had two sets of twins on one side. Having multiples is pretty much only guaranteed if a mom's on fertility treatments. Other than that it's the luck of the draw just like getting a boy or girl is a luck of the draw. Twins have been born and not known until birth, but that's rare.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Since she is an identical twin it has no effect on your odds. Identical twins are not hereditary.

jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 2:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• It will have no effect on your odds of conceiving twins. I think the above responses cover the reasons pretty well, but I'll summarize again just for good measure:

Identical twining is not genetic.

Fraternal twining can be genetic, but it would need to be in your family for you to inherit the tendency to release more than one egg per cycle.

You could have twins, but without factors other than your MIL being an identical twin your odds are no greater than any other woman.

Anonymous

• i have twins on my moms side and shes a identical twin on my dads side i have twins and tripplets on my hubbys side they have a few twins

my mom m/c a set of twins and i m/c twins in 07 and i cant get pregnant after that and found out i had to go on clomid and so for both times on it i only got pregnant with one baby but they keep a eye on me cause of my family so it keep be a slim chance
    Anonymous