If 1 parent needs a cardio stress test (echo) and 1 needs a nuclear stress test & you can only afford 1, which do you choose?

We have good insurance but being the beginning of the year we must meet our deductible which is $300 or $350 each + we are responsible for 15% of total charges at least. Echo will cost around $1000 and Nuclear stress test around $1700 but we have no idea what our total out of pocket will be.
I have been out of work for 10 months and with all the bills at the beginning of the year really can't afford to add in another $600 - $1000, so how do we choose who gets a test?

AussieMum2

Asked by AussieMum2 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Health

• If payment plans are not an option, I would choose to do the one for the person who has a higher risk of having significant or serious health issues without quick or immediate treatment. I have no idea which one that would be (I don't know what a nuclear stress test is or what it's for), but your doctors should be able to answer that question. I would start saving for the second test and get it taken care of as soon as possible.
    Anonymous

• get both done and work out a payment plan for the fees.

what good is it going to do your family if you only get one test done and the other person dies?
    Anonymous

• Couldnt you set up a payment plan?
    Anonymous

• We finally got real $$ from insurance rather than the Drs office who completely freaked me out. Not as bad as I thought. I will reschedule mine so it will probably be in 2 months or so.
    Neither one of us is overweight and dh has low cholesterol but the last test they did (treadmill) they commented that the reading indicated a possible blockage or malfunctioning machine so they wanted to do the nuclear. Because we have always had these tests done at the end of the year after our deductibles are met I had no idea how much we were going to have to pay. And of course their first appt was in January.
    The last time I did the treadmill was about 4 yrs ago and this time I am meant to do the stress test. I have borderline high cholesterol and family history of heart disease.
    Hopefully we made the right decision.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2010