My sisters baby is very colic is there anything I can do to help?

She is a first time mom and her baby just crys all day long. I feel so bad because my kids were so easy and I think she keeps comparing. She is BF and I told her she can bring the baby over anytime and will keep her for a few hours and listen to her cry so she can have some peace. I was just wondering if any of you moms who had a colic baby have any advice on what helps? I want my sister to enjoy her new baby not dread her.

Fordmomma

Asked by Fordmomma at 2:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah, tell her to take the baby back to the doctor until the doctor gives her a real diagnosis instead of that colic BS.

my first son was "colicky" I just lived with it because I was young. 8 years later, my daughter comes along, same exact symptoms, she got diagnosed with reflux. treating her reflux was so much better than just living with "colic"
    Anonymous

• http://www.essortment.com/all/colicremedies_repy.htm
    hope this site helps..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Hmm I wonder if maybe it is reflux??? I will tell her to bring that up to her ped.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 2:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My bff's baby had colic and she use to use the "Miracle Blancket" a lot to help soothe the baby. It's like a super swaddleing blanket. You can buy it online. Maybe she could try that too. Poor thing that has to be to hard! Especially being a first time mom.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My sister had colic for six months. My mom slept in the rocking chair for six months. My sister wouldn't let my dad hold her. They changed her formula, every formula you can buy, goats milk, and finally put her on whole milk and she was fine.

With my son I BF and supplimented with formula and he was colicky. The dr. wanted to put him on soy formula. My husband and I asked other parents, researched, and talked with a pharmacist friend and found out that some kids can't digest DHA and ARA that is in formula. It is found naturally in B Milk and comes in most formulas. The DHA and ARA in formula is made with fungus grown in labs and some kids can't handle it. My husband rushed to Walmart and got some Nestle Good Start without DHA/ARA and after his next bottle he was fine. Never another problem.

You can also try gripe water.
    Anonymous

• my son was colic and literally cried for eight hrs straight.

motion was the biggest thing that helped along with swaddling.....he slept in his swing on a low setting A LOT.

He had gas which was causing most of it, chamomile tea helped.

he was FF so once i found a lactose free formula that his little body could handle he was great.

maybe changing her diet would help? ask the ped about gas/digesting problems.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Gripe Water, mylicon drops, movement,
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• She ay have an oversupply of milk and that can lead to a very fussy baby. Check out Oversupply

This is because baby gets too much sugar and not enough fat. Milk that is stored in the breasts (often called "foremilk") becomes thin, watery and high in milk sugar (lactose), while the milk that is freshly made (hindmilk) is higher in fat. The trouble with oversupply is that there is so much stored milk in the breast that the baby can't drink it all. He fills up on the thin, high-sugar milk and never gets to the satisfying, freshly made, higher fat milk.

The high-sugar milk quickly empties from baby's stomach, and soon after eating he acts like he's "starving" again. Also, the excess amounts of lactose irritate many babies' digestive systems, giving them gas and making them very fussy.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• You might try hints from the book and video Happiest Baby on the Block. Since the baby is breastfed the pacifier hints aren't a good idea.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Hey Mama! Emmers went through colic too and she is now seeing the end of it. She did have reflux....they put her on prescription drops(it basically controlled her stomach spasms) and nexium. Both made a world of difference. She is now off the drops and still on nexium. We also tried Gripe water and it did work pretty good. I even think that if it was just colic with no reflux mixd in the gripe water would have worked awesome. I hope your Sis gets some rest...I know it can be a fraustrating time. I will drop by your page and catch up this week:) I hope your little one is doing great!
    imamombygrace

Answer by imamombygrace at 6:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2010