All those GIVING so much, just a quick question.....

Do you write your donations off at the end of the year? If a person DOES do you still consider it from the heart?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It depends. If I buy things from the school because my kids are selling magazines,whatever,it is a contribution but I don't claim it. If I donate a dollar amount to the Alzheimers' research, then I claim it in the deductions section when I do my traxes. If I donate food or my time, I don't. That is just a gift that I don't take credit for.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I donate and volunteer with specific charities and I do write them off. I know that the organization is getting support and are able to thrive. Its still from my heart because I do put in the time and effort with each one. I dont just write a check and leave it at that.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i actually don't i donated a dollar cuz it was all i had at the time but i don't write them off becuase i'll never have enough itemized deductions to file, isn't is 10,900? but i also don't think that writing off makes it less meaningful becvuase that dollar or 10 donated was taxed before you got it anyway
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i dont cuz my dh is the one who makes moeny. and he is cold hearted jerk who doesnt give a crap about others. but i donated close and food and baby items to the local pregnacy center. once i find a job i plan on donating money to charity
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I do write our donations off. That is not why I give. As a family we give of our time and our money. Op do you think less of them for taking the write off?
    Anonymous

• We don't write off all of our donations. I only write off what I can verify to the satisfaction of the IRS. This excludes a LOT of the little donations and most of the food donations.

Why wouldn't you write it off? I don't think it lessens the giving in any way.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I do donate and I write off some of my donations. It is still from the heart because It  costs more money to donate then you are able to write off.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I have not and do not ever right off my donations. Might as well not give at all then.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• It is all spread out over the year and I don't keep track of it. If the people that need it get it, I'm good.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 2:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I don't donate enough to write off, that's over like $10000 so that's like 1/3 of our yearly pay lol. I couldn't afford to donate that much!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2010