To spank, or not to spank

My son is only 5 months old, but his father and i have been talking about how we want to raise him. We were both smacked around as kids, and although he does not intend to do that, he thinks that it's a good idea to spank him for something as little as coloring on the wall. I do not agree in any way, i don't think that a real spanking is deserved for any reason. But he doesn't want to budge on the idea, what do i do? I don't want him hitting our son!

LogansMama09

Asked by LogansMama09 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm really glad my SO and I are on the same page about that, because I'd lose it if he ever spanked our son! I have a friend whose son is 18 months, and she regularly spanks him for the dumbest stuff... Yells at him, too. If I needed any more reason not to spank, she's it. Her kid is so much more destructive and disobedient than mine (he's 2 months older).

I'd just try to tell your husband that if ANY spankings are going to happen, they should be only for MAJOR infractions, and never more than a quick smack on the butt (more to startle than to hurt). They're just not effective, especially if they happen all the time.

Good luck!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• DH and I are on different pages when it comes to spanking. He thinks it's ok and I do not. We came to the agreement that a quick swat (to startle) on the butt is ok for things such as running into the street/across a parking lot. *knock on wood* we haven't had to use this form of discipline yet....I can't stand the thought of hitting my baby.
    irishmama1007

Answer by irishmama1007 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I know that this will not be a popular answer but I do believe in spanking. For deliberate disobedience I've found that Spanking is an appropriate punishment. I've used it sparingly and with out anger. My son knows that certain behavior will result in a spanking. He is ten years old and I've not had to resort to corporal punishment in almost a year. Two years ago he would go to a friends house after school and would not come home till well after dark. After grounding him several times I finally informed him that if the behavior continued He would be spanked. I only had to do it twice before the message got through. Dr James Dobson's book "Dare to Disipline" was a great resource for me.

CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 3:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2010