Have you ever had a temper tantrum in front of your kids?

I've been under an unusual amount of stress lately with work deadlines, home responsibilites and family problems. The other night I left a bunch of work unfinished so I could get home in time to take SD8 to swimming lessons. When I got home I asked SD several times to get her shoes and coat on so we wouldn't be late and she didn't do it. I was running around like a maniac to get the rest of her stuff together (towel, goggles, etc) and started putting on my coat when I realized she still didn't have her shoes or coat on. I asked her again to please put her shoes and coat on and she tells me she didn't know where her shoes were (she didn't even look). I totally freaked out...threw my keys and bag (with towel & goggles) on the floor, muttered something like "You've got to be kidding!" and ran upstairs to get her shoes from the closet. I realize it was not the most adult behavior, but I was at my breaking point.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am guessing that since you are posting here, you are human, right? Humans, even Mommies, are not perfect. We would like to be, but don't beat yourself up. I think being aware of your stress level and trying to cut it down some or find time to be alone might help. I have also always admitted to my kids when my behavior was not appropriate. I will take them aside and tell them that Mommy should not have acted the way she did and I hope you can forgive me for being loud at you. It was not your fault, it was a lot of things and Mommy just felt it all boil over, but I am sorry if I hurt your feelings or scared you in any way. Hope this helps.
    Mom2LeahNathan

Answer by Mom2LeahNathan at 11:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Don't feel too bad, we all have our moments. I've had mine a few times and I do feel immature when I do it but sometimes it's hard to hold it in even if little ones are present, my son just looks at me like i'm crazy then I just try and totally change the subject by showering him with a bunch of hugs and kisses and acting goofy or singing a silly song and it usually gets his mind off of how 'crazy' mom was just acting...lol
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I had an anxiety attack and total melt down in front of my daughter once. It was due to a very sever thyroid condition. It was similar to the biggest tantrum I can imagine. My husband jumped out of bed and came running to see what was going on because I was screaming. My daughter, who always has something to say, was completely silent. She didn't say anything when I dropped her off at at school and I came back home and wept hysterically instead of going to work. My husband just said, "I think you need to call your doctor" (it was that bad).

I have little fits, like the one you described, at least a few times a year, but only the one monster fit.
    Anonymous

• been there done that :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Don't feel bad. Just don't make a habit of it. I think we all 'loose it' at times (and if someone says they don't - they are lying). The key is to not direct it toward them if you can help it (again, it happens to us all at one point or another) and to apologize to them if you do. Let them know that Mama makes mistakes too and that you are sorry.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 3:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Been there done that. It happens, parents are human too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Awwww the joys of motherhood, don't worry, I think we have all been there.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:35 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Join the club. :) I've got a 3 year old and an almost 2 year old and I'm pregnant...some days I feel like joining in on their tantrums...LOL!!! It happens!
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2010