Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get out of a state's jurisdiction in a civil case?

I filed for divorce in Maryland and because we have children we are doing mediation for their issues. I am moving to Georgia in a few days and will never be back in Maryland. We were told that because I was moving and my spouse two months after me that we should refile or transfer to the state we are moving to. Because my spouse is military he is still a resident of South Carolina so we will be transferring there to get it over with quickly. Right now Maryland has jurisdiction over the civil case. They want me to do this FLO class which stands for family law orientation but apparently is more like a parenting class for parents divorcing and also showing how mediation will work. Our mediation will be done on Tuesday and my flo classes arent until Feb. My spouse was able to get out of going because he had a certificate for a completed parenting class (he went to bc he was forced bc of being a crappy parent). Can i get out of it?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (3)
  • They said I could take the class in Georgia as soon as I get there and send my proof to MD. Why do all this if the case is being transferred to SC anyway immediately? I'd rather not be forced to take a class when my parenting isnt on trial. I left my husband for being an abusive jerk. But still I am being treated like I did something wrong for getting a divorce. Anywho, any ideas or advice?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • I wouldn't look at the classes as my parenting skills being on trial. I would look at it as a tool to help my children adjust to my divorce. I would think of it as something that might help me understand what they might be feeling, or thinking. I personally don't think it would hurt anything to go ahead and take the class, you never know what you might learn! Just think positive about it! And congrats on getting out of a bad situation!

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

  • Don't all states have that class now? I had it here in MO. Have your lawyer file a motion to have you take it in GA. It is only about 4hrs long. And to the person above, I totally know what you are saying and if that class was helpful I would agree with you, but honestly it is only so the state can cover its butt.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.