should a 5 year old be able to buckle his own seat belt in less than 5 mins without a fight?

He says it's to hard and that he 'can't'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depends on the seatbelt configuration. My son started doing it on his own around the time he turned 5. My oldest was still in a 5pt harness and finally figured out (or got the strength) to buckle herself in at 6. Then she moved to the booster a little after that and it took her several months to figure out how to buckle herself in. Her younger brother used to help her then buckle himself in. I think she was actually 7 before she was able to buckle herself in at all.
    My middle daughter figured it out around the time she turned 6 and still has problems because of the way the belts are in our truck. I have just as much trouble trying to buckle her up.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My 3yr old is very good at unbuckling his...lol drives me insane!! But some of those seat belts are tough to do sometimes I have a hard time with the seat belts and I'm 31yrs old...lol
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Buckle it for him, save yourselves both the hassle. he's still young for that.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the seat and how hard it is. One of my dd's seats had a big hump by the seat belt so she couldnt see the buckle from her angle and she couldnt do that one, but she can do the small boosters no problem.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My daughter is in a five point harness booster and she has been buckling herself since she turned four. She is five now. My son (three) has trouble but can do it with a little help-he is in a five point booster too.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• IDK, my 4 year old is still in a 5 point harness and can't buckle nor unbuckle it
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• my 6 year old has a hard time buckling her seat belt, but the buckle itself is tricky. she can do it but it takes some work.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Depends on the seat belt. Some of them are tough to buckle. I often have trouble with the passenger seat belt in our mini van.
    Anonymous

• MY 5 yr old still has problems buckling his seat belt, I let him try and if he fails I will do it for him. I am just happy he tries.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My 4 1/2 year old buckles his just fine in well under 5 minutes.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2010