I am too overprotective if I say only G movies for my 2yr old?

I have a 2 yr old who just started watching tv when she turned 2 (about 1 pbs show a day) . We go over with her what is "real" and what is "pretend", but she seems sensitive too the emotions in a movie. For ex. she got very scared from the part in the curious george movie where george is left stranded in the air holding balloons, she got very worried about the fish in the fish bowl when it was knocked over in "cloudy with a chance of meatballs" (we had to stop the movie). Because of this I don't really let her see anything except for things rated G. Anyways we are going to go stay with family for a few days and my sil's kids (who are about the same age as my lo)watch a lot of tv and movies- from G-PG13. Their tv is basically on all day. I know that I am going to get made fun of if I try to enforce a G rating. Am I being overprotective? Are there any other parents out there with kids that have trouble with this stuff?

redvase

Asked by redvase at 3:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Overprotective? No. Two year olds aren't equipped to deal with the emotions of most G rated movies, even. I was angry because my mom keeps popping in a movie when my daughters (16 and 31 months) are there -- Charlotte's Web, Mickey and the Beanstalk. My 2.5 year old bursts into tears at different scenes in Charlotte's Web (too emotional for her) and is now worried about giants... If kids are unfazed by PG 13 movies because they've had it since birth, I don't think that's a selling point for starting them young, either. Seeing my poor little girl struggle with shows at grandma's house has made me a big believer in the official line of the APA which is no tv until age 3.
    Anonymous

• no. some kids are different my dd is almot 3 an watches alot of shows. mostly G and pg. she watches nick jr or her dora movies. sometmes we get kids movies from netfik. shewatches mosters vs alians and she loved it. but am sorry if soone came to my house and told me what i had to watch cuz of their kid i would raised hell.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• nope
    and kids that young definatly should not be watcing pg13...yikes
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• first off....how do YOU react when those scenes happen? how do you treat her when she gets upset?

it really depends on the movie.
    Anonymous

• If she has genuine issues, then, no. My son was watching whatever since birth. He never had any issue, so, I never worried about what he watched. In fact, he really would not watch G stuff, even when he was reall small. It bored him. I have only seen 2 things bother him. When Kermit the Frog sang, It's not that easy being reen. He said it was sad. And Arachniphobia when he was three. He didn't like that it could happen. He however had no problem at that age watching Star Wars, Lake Placid etc. So, he watched whatever. I didn't make him watch if he didn't want too though. So, you are doing good.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• When something happens I usually just sit there and wait to see if she even notices or if it concerns her. If it concerns her then I tell her that so and so will be fine and to watch and see, and that they will be ok. Some parts bother her and some parts she isn't phased by, it just depends on how she understands it. Main characters in physical peril usually concern her enough that she starts to shout out about it. I try not to make a big reaction to it, but if she says she is scared several times then I will turn it off.
    redvase

Answer by redvase at 4:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• No, gosh if G ratings weren't meant for young children, well then who were they meant for? I will censor everything my daughter watches on tv. As of now, she is 18 months and has no interest in tv.

I don't think you're overprotective at all. I will do the same as you.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I think there's nothing wrong with the way you are teaching your child, but I would expect the SIL to either not understand or make fun of you, either way, it's your kid, it's your choice:)
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I think your doing the right thing. There are so many hours wasted on watching T'V and it's our right as parents to sensor what out children see. Rated G movies are meant for toddlers. Besides T'V isn't that big of a deal. Children can do so much more than sitting and watching it all day. I do the same thing for my little ones.
    heavensgrace

Answer by heavensgrace at 7:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Nope. She's your kid and your the one that gets the say in what she's exposed to on tv or in movies.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2010