I have no idea how this works...neither does my mom.

O.K. - I breastfeed my son and I will keep him on the breast till he's a year old. After that, I don't want to breastfeed him anymore but I would like to continue to supplement breastmilk for him. I am thinking once or twice a day but I'm not sure if my body will continue to produce milk to just pump once or twice per day. I asked my mom and she doesn't know because she couldn't breastfeed. So I am asking my other mother source. Will my body be able to continue to produce breastmilk if I'm only pumping once or twice a day?

It may be a stupid question for someone who's familiar with breastfeeding but he's my first child.

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 3:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is really common for a one year old to continue to nurse 1-2 times a day. Both of my boys dropped down to nursing 2 times a day soon after they turned a year old and by 13 to14 months old they were just nursing before bed and when they first got up in the morning, and occasionally they would want to nurse at some point during the day. So, in theory, you should be able to maintain that same supply by pumping 2 times a day. Personally, I think pumping is a pain and would rather just have baby nurse a couple of times a day, but whatever works for you! Plus, baby gets the more antibodies that way (as your body reacts to their saliva to make needed antibodies) There are some great benefits to continue beyond a year, check out Extended Breastfeeding Fact Sheet

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• everyone is different, but if you pump on a regular schedule you should still be able to produce milk
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yes it can and yes your breast will still porduce milk as long as you keep pumping. Just make sure you keep doing it every day or else it will slow down and stopp if you don't keep up.
    Anonymous

• it depends..... like for me i couldn't bc i never am able to pump anything but you sure can try
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't count on it. Pumping only once or twice a day probably won't be enough to maintain a supply. It is so much bother. It is easier just to breastfeed.

The World Health Organization Recommends breastfeeding at least two years. The AAP will be increasing their recommendations to two years.

If you don't want to breastfeed in public it is possible to just breastfeed when you are at home. You never know you and your child may love breastfeeding so much it won't be an issue. There are women who only plan on breastfeeding a couple of months that go on to breastfeed even beyond two years. Few first time moms start out thinking that they are going to breastfeed 2-3 years.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• everyone is different . some woman dont even respond to the pump. i pump exclusevely for 10 mts. i responded very well to the pump for the first 8mts but after that i had to supplement cuz i wast making enough. maybe you can pump while you nurse now. that way when he turns a year you have milk . bm can last up to 12 mts in a deep frezzer. good luck
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Maybe. Like, if you pump regularly throughout the first year, it's more likely. If you just nurse, and then want to BEGIN pumping at 12 mos, it's very possible that your body will not respond to the pump. You can nurse on demand, and then after 12 mos, employ the don't offer, don't refuse method, and that would probably leave you nursing just 2-3 times a day. Why do you want to stop directly nursing at 12 mos, just wondering? How old is he now? Do you pump at all now?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yes. I was able to do that at around 5 mos. We supplemented with formula and I pumped twice a day. If the demand is there, the milk should be there.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Everyone is different. Most people can't pump twice a day and maintain a supply, but I know women who breastfeed once every other day and can.

You don't have to work out those details now. Just enjoy the time you have, and when something needs changing, figure it out then!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• As long as there's demand, there will be supply. In fact. even if there WASN"T demand...milk will still be there for aas long as a year after weaning.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2010