Whend does baby start facing head down?

At times I can see my baby poking out of my stomach. Like there is a lump on one side and then another lump on the other side. I don't know which side is her head and which is her bottom. So basically, I'm guessing she is still sideways. When will she turn faced down completely? I don't want her to be upright position because I want to avoid c-section. Do doctors check the position when you start going to 2 week appointments?

penguinbabe44

Asked by penguinbabe44 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Babies usually turn by 34 weeks, but can turn as late as the onset of labor. You can start doing some things now to help encourage baby to be in the right position. Sit up straight, not leaning back. That means sit on a birth ball or on the floor and not on a couch or chair (they all lean back). Sleep on your side, walk, get plenty of exercise and visualize baby being in the head down position. Almost all babies turn by 34 weeks, I'm sure you'll be fine :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Every time (other than the very first) I got an ultrasound, my babies were head down. It varies from person to person I suppose.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• babies normally turn at 28wks and on my son was head down at 28wks and stayed that way till he came out but even if yours hasnt turned by 38wks they can turn during labor dont worry too much about it there are ways they can help turn baby if needed without having a c-section thats usually a last effort thing unless you are schedualed for one in the first place they will usually do whatever they need to to avoid doing a C-sec
    Anonymous

• every baby is diffrent some tunr early, others late. some never turn. others turn while in labor. others turn a few days before labor.

both my kids turn before 28 wks
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Some turn as late as during labor and for that reason i would never agree to a planned c-section for a breech or transverse baby. My first was transverse and turned on his own at 39 weeks, my second was going from breech to head down and back up until labor.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Your doctor-midwife can check at each appointment, this is what I have been used to, anyway.
    You can do exercises or remedies to coax baby's head down.
    But you might also consider changing to a provider that doesn't do cesareans unless there is an emergency. (Because breech is a variation of Normal.)

My baby turned a lot in the last 2 months. I wasn't worried because I would plan a vaginal birth whether baby was breech or not. I know of babies that are turned by the pre & early labor contractions, too.
    God/Mother Nature has this all worked out, has for... ever !
    ;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2010