Does your child get the scoliosis test at school? My 14 year old daughter did and the nurse said she may have an elevation of her L scapula. Did anyone elses child ever get that?

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 3:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I did way back when in 7th grade.I have scoliosis.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yeah, I had it done when I was in middle school.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• get her checked by her doctor, many people go through life with scoliosis and are fine with it, maybe some back pain. there are some extreme cases where the kid would need surgery and maybe have a rod inserted. maybe you can request an MRI of her whole spine, spinal survey its called. good luck with her.
    Anonymous

• Curvature of the spine isn't always scoliosis. The doc swore my sister had it but further testing showed that her back was growing wrong because of an organ growth issue. It could be something as simple as favoring a side when she plays sports or carries her bag. A good doc will look for all the possible causes.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i had it done in school
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I had it done in middle school. The school said I had it and my mom took me to the doctor and had an x-ray done and sure enough I have scoliosis. At least 2 of my cousins have it too and one is like me and does just fine with it but my other one is facing surgery for never having anything done to her back. If that was my dd I would take her to a doctor and have an x-ray done. Try to prevent it from getting worse now.
    Anonymous

• Yes, my daughter was screened at school and does have scoliosis...but not all cases need any intervention. My Dr, said that unless the curve is severe, it should be left alone. They measure the curve at her annual visits and make sure it doesn't go beyond a certain point~and usually it doesn't the closer they get to their full growth. She doesn't complain about it, and it isn't very noticeable unless she is sitting a certain way. Back surgery is very tough to recover from and if it's recommended, I would get many opinions from different specialists. Good Luck!
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2010